We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best location to stay

UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
best location to stay

Hi. I'm gong to Aus for the first time to visit my son in Sydney. I've also booked a flight up to Cairns to stay for a week. I have been told to stay in Port Douglas but there seem to be great hotels on various islands. I would like to do some snorkelling. I wondered if anyone had any suggestion, hints, tips for places to stay and trips 'not to be missed'. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best location to stay

Hi,

Port Douglas is a fab place to stay - and you can do snorkelling tours from PD.

Its located one hour north of Cairns.

See Great Barrier Reef / Port Douglas / Daintree National Park / Cape Tribulation.

Tour - www.tropicaltours.com.au/ - Wildlife Rainforest,Guided Day

www.quicksilver-cruises.com - Great Barrier Reef

www.wotif.com.au for accomodation.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best location to stay

Hi jezzy

Yes - there are some fabulous island resorts in the area and some are right on the reef and offer snorkelling right off the beach. See here: www.sunloverholidays.com.au/region.php… for more detailed info on accommodation and deals available. I find them to be one of the best for Qld holidays and they have excellent brochures that really set out all the facilities of each island. You can easily transfer to any of the north Qld islands from Cairns either by air or boat.

Whitsunday's
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best location to stay

Hi jezzy,

What month are you travelling ? Your the quality of your experience will vary enormously if you travel at the wrong time for instance right now is the middle of the cyclone season and there are deadly marine creatures. Plewase advise your month of holiday & I will make some suggestions

Cheers

John

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best location to stay

Yes, it has to be April and we will be there by mid April. I was under the impression that the rainy season was worst in February. Is the Cyclone season a different time ? Wasn't really aware of that one but unfortunately it does have to be April as the only other alternative would have been July/Aug and looking at the temperatures for the rest of Australia etc at this time, don't really fancy it.

Thanks

5. Re: best location to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 09:49