We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In or out of town lodging best?

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
37 reviews
In or out of town lodging best?

Hello PD advisors,

My husband and I will be in the area for 4 nights 19-23 in October. We plan to do the usual visits to Mossman Gorge, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, maybe Kuranda, etc, but don't plan a snorkle/dive trip. My question is whether to stay right in Port Douglas or a distance out of town (looking at an Airbnb just north of Mossman). We are not likely to go out drinking at night, nor eat out every meal, and my husband is not a fan of crowds. Are we at a disadvantage staying out of town? We'll have a rental car.

Thank in advance for your thoughts.

6 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,117 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: In or out of town lodging best?

I really like Port Douglas and prefer to stay in town close to Macrossan St, but from your post, it sounds like your Air BnB may be very suitable. I prefer to eat out for either lunch or dinner each and for that reason like to be close to all the restaurants on Macrossan St. If you just want to do quiet trips to pick up groceries/sight see, then Mossman would be fine - it will be "very" quiet though.

If you choose to do Kuranda, I would recommend tying it in to your arrival day or your departure day if possible, as it is very close to Cairns and this will save you a lot of back tracking.

Another must do IMO is Hartleys Crocodile Adventures.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,617 posts
204 reviews
2. Re: In or out of town lodging best?

There aren't a lot of options in that area at all for eating out at night..

You might want to factor the fact you will need to eat in 90% of the time.... Mossman does have an excellent Woolowrhts (supermarket) Mojos will be your only option other than the pub. That gives you 2 eating out options..

If you are after fine dining you would have to do lunch at Silky Oaks

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: In or out of town lodging best?

We loved Thala Beach Nature Reserve. It is out of town, but close enough to everything. It was a great intro to OZ for us and felt exotic. Good price, too.

Oxley, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
99 reviews
4. Re: In or out of town lodging best?

Definitely stay in Port Douglas. We stayed at the Outrigger and was perfect! Close to the main street, restaurants and 4 mile beach - all within walking distance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: In or out of town lodging best?

mmmm I think I know the area north of Mossman where the airbnb is - pretty isolated. Stay in PD or even Oak Beach would be better (we have stayed there several times but you need a car).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,617 posts
204 reviews
6. Re: In or out of town lodging best?

PD isn crowded but it isn't quiet either IMHO

I'd happily stay in Mossman or nearby in preference to PD..

Its a 20 min drive...

Reply to: In or out of town lodging best?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted