We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any safe swimming and kayaking?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
903 posts
28 reviews
Any safe swimming and kayaking?

We have 3 nights open between staying in the Atherton Tablelands and Port Douglas.

Are there any areas where one can swim safely....other than pools and water holes?

Are there any kayak/tour hire companies?

On another note, Is the long drive to Cooktown "worth it"? is there much to see and do?

Thanks a lot.

7 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

Worth it...

Who knows what you value. But I love outback, nothing much out there landscapes, a wetland area, ranges, etc If you havent seen it before then maybe just give it a go- nothing to lose. really.

I like Cooktown as it is a real frontier type place and in its heyday it would have been wild. Its a very pretty place and whilst small, I think its worth a few days there max. There used to be a wonderful indiigenous man Willie Gurrubi ? who used to run a great tour. There could be something still going up there but not sure.

I dont believe there is kayak tours up in PD - crocs love easy targets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
903 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

Fancy that!! You provided SOOOO much support with our Top End trip. We got back almost 2 weeks ago...a fantastic trip.

Thanks for everything and this info too.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

well there you are! I pop up everywhere :}

Did you do a trip report. I 'd love to know what worked and what did not . Love hearing all the good and bad impressions people have when they visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,151 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

At this time of year you can swim off the beach in Port Douglas - not at dusk though.

Locals will know if crocs have been spotted at the beach and warn you.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
903 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

Thanks.

We'll be there for the second half of October.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,151 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

Check with the locals re stingers - if the nets are in place, you need to swim in the enclosures, but they will hopefully not be needed until November.

Palm Cove is another gorgeous beach location for a swim. A day combining visiting Hartleys Crocodile Adventures and then late lunch/swim at Palm Cove is a good use of time.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
903 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Any safe swimming and kayaking?

Thanks for the suggestions.Just got back from Kakadu so maybe we'll give the crocs a miss.

Reply to: Any safe swimming and kayaking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas