We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns vs Whitsundays?

California
1 post
Save Topic
Cairns vs Whitsundays?

Hello-

We booked our flights into Cairns but are considering eating the cost of the flights and booking new flights to the Whitsundays. We definitiely want to do some sort of sail/dive trip either place. DO you think it is worth the cost to change the flights?

Where would you recommend staying in Cairns or Whitsundays?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,454 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

The time of year is significant her....in june July august you want to be as =far north as possible threfore cairns.

In Jan Feb you want to be south ie whitsundays.

this maximises your chance of the best weather.

There really isn't a great deal between the two places just specific icons like Whitehaven and Daintree. i wouldn't change my flight.

Don't stay in CNS though...go abit further to Port D or palm Cove

2. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2006, 21:10
Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

If the focus of your trip is the Great Barrier Reef then there is no contest the best trips depart from Cairns. The boats that do go out to the reef in the Whitsundays only do so for one day and that is if the weater permits them to. In Cairns you have boats that are permanently out on the actual reef. Like Reef Encounter.

…homestead.com/ReefEncounterCairns1.html

If you want islands and sailing then again there is no contest it must be the Whitsundays.

Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

Help Airlian

Have taken your advice and am now looking at 3-6 night sailing trip.We want to sail around the Whitsunay Islands and also go to the Outer Barrier Reef.

Have had a bit of a look on the net and the boats I have come up with are:

Whitsunday Magic

Solway Lass

Madison

Coral Trekker

Pacific Star &

Pacific Sunrise

We, (couple) are nearly 50, so don't want a real 'partying/backpacker' boat. An ensuite would be good, though not absolutely essential.

It seems to me that only the 6 night trips go the GBR. Is this correct?

I figure if we are going to do it, we might as well combine the 'islands' and 'reef' trips together.

W. Magic seems popular, but takes a lot of passengers. Maybe not quite as intimate as some of the others (?)

Also, we are both tall, so will either need a queen size bed, or double that doesn't hit a wall at the end (for leg overhang), or otherwise two x single beds that don't hit a wall at the end, with leg overhang room at the end. Maybe asking a lot!

Also, I wondered which of these boats are BYO and which are licensed?

Pacific Sunrise looks great, but is getting pricey for 6 x nights.

Do you have any ideas as to which would suit our needs (and age) best?

Both love snorkelling and want to see as much of the Whitsundays as possible.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Babz

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,043 posts
1,936 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

100% Whitsundays to Cairns.

Unique and beautiful.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,043 posts
1,936 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

Just read your other post, why dont you just go alone and hire your own boat/yacht.......and probably much cheaper; its easy sailing/motoring this area, waters are mostly calm and are protected by the reef.

Just have fun, exploring the Whitsundays alone, it is a wonderful place to do this.....

Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

Hi Ellemay

Yes, doing it alone could work. Although I tend to think it may be more fun with a couple of friends, and we don't have anyone who is interested at this stage.

Went to Cairns, Port Douglas, Palm Cove last year and went to Outer Barrier Reef, so feel may be a change to sail the Whitsundays.

If anyone has any idea re the bedding sizes and whether or not beds have leg overhang room on the boats mentioned, please let me know!!!

They were, from memory:

Whitsunday Magic

Solway Lass

Pacific Sunrise

Madison

Coral Trekker &

Windjammer

(Some of these vessels possibly take too many passengers for our liking, so if there is a 'happy medium' that would be good.)

Thanks!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,043 posts
1,936 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

The best person to talk to is Airlian, she lives in the area and knows the boats..we only sail there once a year, from Sydney.

Airlian always suggests great ideas.

cez
Newport, South Wales
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

Hi,

I really wouldnt change your flights unless you're travelling next year. We booked a flight to Cairns, then decided to change & it ended up costing us £250.00 in admin costs & since the flights have almost doubled for Xmas (we previously booked approx 6 mths ago)

hope this helps

Cez

10. Re: Cairns vs Whitsundays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:50