We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns

Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns

Hi

We are couples with 3 young children (below 9yrs all) arrived Cairns yesterday. We will stay 4 nights here and would like to visit GBR for a day. Have the following questions:

- which boat/operator would be good for us?

- I would like to do scuba diving but others will not. So, if they accompany me, will the operator charge same fee for them as well? Any child discount?

- Heard Reef Magic and Quicksilver are good. Will it be suitable for family? Also, are their prices reasonable?

Also would like to visit few places out of the following - need your inputs/ suggestions and votes which ones should I do must keeping in mind the budget.

• Helicopter ride to GBR #2

Cairns Aquarium # 3

• Sky rail rain forest #4

• Captain Cook highway to Port Douglas drive #5

• Mossman George Rainforest, Port Douglas ($10 shuttle) #6

• Carns Botanic Garden #7

• Fritzoy Island # 8

• Baron fall, Kuranda (10 min from car park) #9

• Daintree Rainforest Cairns (waterfall) # 10

• Lagoon Pool (suitable for kids; swimming costume to carry; Muddy’s playground really good for kids)

Kuranda Scenic Railway

Regards,

Aslam

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Cairns Aquarium
Cairns Aquarium
444 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Kuranda Scenic Railway
Kuranda Scenic Railway
3,667 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns

From Cairns, Reef Magic may be the best choice. I'm not sure they offer introductory scuba. You will need to check their website. The prices are what they are. Whether they are reasonable or not is up to you. If you have a large enough party you may be able to negotiate a discount if you book direct. This is the busy season and they will have no difficulty filling their boats. You may need to book in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns

I think Reef Magic is the only feasible option for your group based on the information you provided. (Quicksilver would also be an option, but you would have to get to Port Douglas to go out with them.) Reef Magic offers snorkeling and seeing the Reef without getting wet via glass-bottom boat rides, semi-submersible rides and and underwater viewing area. Everyone over the age of 4 must pay, but there are child rates and family rates. If you want to do an intro dive, which they do offer, you would pay an extra fee for that.

Whatever other activities you do depend on your interests and budget. But I notice you haven't mentioned either Hartley's Crocodile Adventure (between Cairns and PD) and the Wildlife Habitat (in PD). I think either would appeal to most families.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns

Thanks all for your inputs. We did GBR Tour with Reef Majic. It’s good - time flies very fast at the cruise. I did intro diving, submerge glass bottom tour & fish feeding. Didn’t get enough time for second dive. In the first dive, they didn’t allow to carry action camera. But, got some amazing photos from their photographer.

First day did the Kuranda scenic railway/ cable car tour, second day GBR and today water sports for kids at the resort in the first half and Aquarium in the second half. Flying to Gold Coast tomorrow morning.

Rented a car for these days. Rental company upgraded the car and gave us a brand new Mitsubishi Pajero Sports. I’m the first to hire it:)

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns

Glad your day on Reef Magic was good. Time flies when you’re having fun!

Reply to: Need inputs for GBR trip and other tours in Cairns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted