We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working holiday in Brisbane

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Working holiday in Brisbane

Hi! I am moving to Brisbane in October on a Working Holiday Visa. My plan is to work there for a few months. I want to live close to the city, but I don't know where I should move.

I want to rent a room in a houseshare/flatshare, so is there any place in Brisbane you can recommend? I have been looking at different apartments at gumtree.com, but it's hard to know where in the city I should move.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

Ask on www.travellerspoint.com forums where backpackers hang out.

www.gumtree.com.au is a ok place to start (also has jobs)

www.seek.com.au for jobs

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

Brisbane is a very safe city and anywhere you find close to train or bus stops and within about 15km of the CBDiis going to be fine. Do try to live on the same side of town as your job. Public Transport is not super cheap in Brisbane, but it's cheaper and better than a peak hour commute in a car.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

Perhaps you could list the areas you are considering and we can give you a bit of a review ... it's impossible to critique the whole city.

As a general guide you will find younger adults drawn to Paddington, Fortitude Valley, New Farm and areas surrounding. They are close to entertainment zones and public transport ... also makes them a bit more expensive.

Edited: 13 September 2016, 02:30
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

I read a Court report of someone targetting backpackers and foreign students by advertising a share room, taking a hefty deposit and not giving them the room. This reportedly was done with advertising on gumtree.

Buyer, beware. As the saying goes.

Archi

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

Thanks guys, very helpful!

I think I'm going to look at apartments north east/west of Brisbane, especially those areas mentioned here. Sounds like there are more backpackers there than other parts of the city..

Do you know if there are any other "beaches"/lagoons like the one in South Bank close to north west/east of Brisbane, e.g. Fortitude Valley?

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

No, Southbak is the only "city beach" but there is a good public pool in the Valley if you are a swimmer, and there is Centenary Pool at Spring Hill, which has diving boards too.

There are plenty of other public pools in the various suburbs around Brisbane too.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

I did a working visa in Brisbane years ago and lived in the west end. I found a shared house with a room for rent and loved it. It is within walking distance of the south bank and downtown.

I'd also recommend staying at Somewhere to Stay backpackers as you look for a job/flat. Lots of people actually end up living there for an extended period. www.somewheretostay.com.au

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

Just curious, on what website did you find your house in the West End? I'm really liking the sound of that suburb. What did you like about it? :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

West End is eclectic and fabulous - lots of old style Greek restaurants, as well as modern cafes, great book shops, and close to the city and Southbank. It is well serviced with bus routes and supermarkets.

cheers.

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Working holiday in Brisbane

Thanks for the reply! Other than the West End are there any other cool neighbourhoods in Brisbane that stand out to you for a mid 20s married couple? How would you recommend finding an affordable house share for a married couple? We are a Canadian and Brit looking to move to Brisbane in May and really appreciate the guidance :)

Edited: 07 March 2017, 21:17
Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane