We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Brunei airlines

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Brunei airlines

Hi, was wondering if anyone could tell me what the flights/service is like with Royal Brunei. We are travelling to London from Brisbane in June and this seems to be the cheapest fare so far. Have travelled with Emirates a few times and found this to be quite good - does it compare to Emirates?

Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

I have heard from my friend who regularly flies Royal Brunei that they are goo, although dry. They will serve you your oen alcholol but do not supply.

Emirates I think are great, always had a good flight with them and nearly always the cheapest.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

Hi, we flew business class with Royal Brunei 4 years ago and thought they were excellent. The service was the best we have ever had on an aircraft. The only downside was the no alcohol but they will serve your own if you bring it onboard. Food also was excellent. Terrible inflight movies though as they won't show anything with swearing or violence, so mainly childrens type films are shown, bit boring.

We flew Emirates business class in 2005 again very good, newer aircraft and service good. Only downside with them is the plane changes on every leg of the journey, some are fab new planes, some not so good. On some new planes the movie list runs into the hundreds, wonderful.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

As everyone else has said they are dry, found that out on a trip to NZ after the horrified look on the face of the hostess when I ordered a a scotch. New planes with the lastest IFE on our flight. Leg room very cramped in economy and the food on our flight not great, so we wouldn't fly on long haul with them. Read the reviews on Skytrax, they are quite varied in opinions but good reading.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

have you thought of giving Gulf air a try? although you would have to fly out of Sydney!! are you already booked though?

Try looking at airline reviews website and airlinemeals website and airliners website to see the reviews meals and inside the cabin photos of the aircraft of Royal Brunei if you have already booked with them.

good luck.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

We flew business class with them this month - January, from London to Bribane, back from Sydney and we found them excellent at all times - you can always take your own booze if you need to do so.

I would definitely recommend them

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

Friends flew to London with Brunei in December and were very happy. Service and food great. You can take your own alcohol on if you need to. There short stop in brunei makes the journey more nbearable. My daughter also flew home with them a few weeks ago. On her last leg from brunei to brisbane the plane was a bit older and some inflight entertainment not working. It is however well worth the fare and we have booked with them for later in the year. One thing to note the flight may stop between brunei and london at dubai. This was not actually listed on itinery but if you look at the bruneiair website you can see the stop. It was just a short stop and she could leave things on the plane. Travel agent didnt know about it so maybe only if they have passengers there.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

As with what Zippippilly said, I have heard about the extra refuel stop too and was surprised nobody else metioned it earlier.

In 2001 we booked a one-way flight from London to Brisbane with Royal Brunei based on them being the cheapest. THEN I started looking in to them and was being told things like no alchohol, shocking food, prayers in Arabic before take-off (that really filled me with confidence....!!). THEN I received the itinerary in the mail which showed a stop in Abu Dhabi. I rang the lady who'd booked for me and asked what that was all about as it was in ADDITION to the Brunei stop. She tried to reassure me that we wouldn't have to get off the plane but I told her I wanted to get off the plane when I had a 7 month old baby to deal with! What was worse is that this refuel stop added 6 hours to an already astonishingly long journey. I was furious that this lady hadn't told me about it when I booked and asked to cancel but she wouldn't let me so I got hold of the manager. He let me cancel and told me that this woman was no longer working for them...

I've done a return journey since then and avoided Royal Brunei. It's bad enough travelling to the other side of the world as an adult, without having children in tow and adding six hours for a flipping refuel. Speaks volumes about their planes too me since there are airlines who fly London to Sydney and London to Melbourne direct now.

On the other hand I have had excellent experiences doing this journey with Malaysian Airlines, liked Japan Airline a lot and thought Qantas were ok (smallest leg room in economy class according to a now infamously useless saleswoman that I once booked through).

Teesside
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Brunei airlines

the fares are very competitive, but if you are flying business, be warned they currently have no business class inflight toiletry bags. they should provide economy ones if you know to ask, which i didn't, and subsequently had a rather uncomfortable trip hygiene wise! however the crew and meals were excellent. if you want to drink take your own alcohol- it's a dry airline.