We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

Hi, after almost four years in Wellington New Zealand, we are moving to our next posting ... Brisbane. I'm now starting research - would appreciate any help on where to stay (within 15 mins drive of city) and a high school (boys or co-ed) for our son (high achiever). A bit of chicken and egg here as state schools have local catchment policies - but since we're at the start of the search, we can pretty live near the school of choice.

Thanks!!

Expat Nomads

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

Hi, just to let you know this thread will probably get shut down as it's moving-related, not travel-related.

Try http://www.ourbrisbane.com/ for information on suburbs.

And post travel-related questions for any other stuff.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

That would be a shame as I have in the past received really good intel - from both locals and expats - on where to live, where to shop, schools, great spots to explore over weekends - and was able to hit the ground running.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

I always think its a bit of a shame too - it still involves travelling after all.

If you post along the lines of "where are some good spots to shop " etc...you'll be ok. Just dont mention the R ( relocation) word ;-)

In terms of schools - its a pretty broad questions. Brisbane is a very big city in terms of urban sprawl. There are good schools over 100 kms apart !

I can give you lots of info regarding inner city family life ( we have 3 kids - 2 are teenagers) but know very little about the 'burbs.

Is your posting Military related ? If so you will want to be on the western side of town close to either Enoggera or Amberley....

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

Thanks for the tip - might look at changing the title of the post ..

My husband is a hotelier, and he will be working in the city so we are hoping to live in inner city suburbs. We have two teenagers, one 15 and one starting uni next year - so your advice would be very useful!.

Re schools, we've looked at Brisbane State High and the catchment area is South Brisbane/Highgate Hill etc - so we might have to start looking there. What are the suburbs there like?

Advice on schools (state, catholic or private) in and around the city would be terrific - it would be entry into Year 11 in 2011.

Thanks in advance!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

State High is highly regarded ( my husband went there,lol) but as you can see hard to get into. Even back then living in the catchment he still had to agree to play rugby, which is not easy for a Greek ;-). There are some good suburbs in the catchment, in fact I have a cousin who has her 3 boys there. They live in West End. Also look at Hill End and Highgate Hill. This area is pretty eclectic - not long ago it was full of greeks and vietnamese, but these days lots of yuppies and greenies. Can be a bit too bohemian for some but close to the city and good cafes & shops. Not cheap.

Other good inner city state schools would be Cavendish Rd SS ( Coorparoo)and Balmoral High but there are very few in the inner suburbs which are dominted by private schools.

Good private schools include Villanova, St Laurences and St Josephs ( all catholic) or Churchie, Brisbane Boys College or Grammar - which are very expensive and may be very hard to get into ( we were on a waitlist of 8 years).

Hope that helps a little. Happy to help by PM if you need more school stuff ;-)

Edited: 11 August 2010, 07:49
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

As long as you live in the local area they have to take you- you don't have to play any sport nowdays. Start looking before you arrive as it can be hard to find rentals in this area. Hint- once you son is enrolled you only need to live in the place for 6 months after he starts at the school. After that you are free to move out of the catchment area and they will not kick your son out!!!!!

They do have a long list of documents that they will need to see- have included a link to this. They will not enrol your son until you have moved here and rented or bought in the local area and can produce the appropriate documents(eg: 6 month lease agreement with all occupants of the house listed).

Not all state schools- primary and high have catchments but the majority in the inner city do.

www.brisbaneshs.eq.edu.au/index.php…

Stae high is very popular as it is virtually the only state high school with selective enrollment. Last figure was i heard was about 65-70 percent on academic merit, some on sport or cultural merit and the rest local area kids.

Good luck- it is a great school and a lot cheaper option than many of the private schools.

7. Re: Moving to Brisbane in Jan 2011 ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 17:48