We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island day trip

Nottingham, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Fraser Island day trip

Hi,

We are travelling from Sydney to Cairns in April over a period of 4 weeks. We want to include Fraser Island on our trip and the closest we are staying is Brisbane. Does anyone know if there are any day trips that run from Brisbane to Fraser Island?

20 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Island day trip

I can’t see how that would work. It’s too far away, you’d spend most of the day getting there and back. You could fly up to Jervey Bay, stay overnight and do a day tour from there the following day.

I was considering a day tour from Noosa a few weeks ago and aftervtesearch realises it wouldn’t give me enough rime to experience the best parts of FI and Noosa is a lot closer than Brisbane.

To put it in to context, it’s a distance of 285km, so almost 7 hours would be spent driving there and back

Edited: 14 January 2018, 01:00
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,702 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island day trip

Not sure why Brisbane is the closest you will be to Fraser Island ? Won't you be driving through Noosa or Hervey Bay on way north (I assume you are in a hire car as you say 4 weeks for trip) ?

If no car then yes, from mr google, there are day tours ex Brisbane - just google away - for example

tourstogo.com.au/tour/2052-fraser-island-exc…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island day trip

That day tour is a heck of a lot of time spent on a bus and very little time on the island.

Seriously, why arent you spending time on the Sunshine Coast? Some of the most beautiful beaches in Aus and you are missing them?

Cheers.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island day trip

You can also fly from Brisbane to Hervey Bay, plenty of nice places to stay and it's right opposite Fraser Island. Plenty of day trips with lots of options.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island day trip

Hi,

A bit more information would be very helpful.

And yes there are plenty of Fraser Island tours originating from Brisbane, and most will drop in to Noosa before getting to Fraser Island.

+1 for all posts above.

>> Not sure why Brisbane is the closest you will be to Fraser Island ? Won't you be driving through Noosa or Hervey Bay on way north (I assume you are in a hire car as you say 4 weeks for trip) ? << if you have a car, and going from Sydney to Cairns are you driving of bussing?

Even if you're bussing, do a Fraser Island tour from Hervey Bay.

Your priority is Fraser Island, not getting to and from, you will waste a lot of time if you catch a tour from anywhere other than Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 15 January 2018, 04:47
Nottingham, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island day trip

Thanks for your replies.

We are mainly travelling to each location by flying. So we are in Brisbane for a few days then flying to Prosperine for the Whitsundays. We aren’t having a hire car until our time in Cairns. I have had a look at flights from Brisbane to Hervey Bay, hoping we could fly in in the morning and get straight on a trip, however the earliest flight lands in HB after most trips have started 🙄 thinking it’s going to have to be the bus journey on tourstogo. It’s an early start, leaving Brisbane at 6am but we do get to stop at Noosa and Rainbow beach as well as see some of the main highlights of Fraser Island.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraser Island day trip

Hi SamBran,

Are young children travelling with you, if they are a Fraser Island tour starting from Brisbane would be long day.

What tours are you looking at, can you provide a link?

And how long are you in Brisbane, and Is there any chance of hiring a car in Brisbane and staying 2 nights in Hervey Bay, and catching a full day tour to Fraser Island from there?

Rob

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraser Island day trip

"We get to see Noosa and Rainbow Beach too" is like taking a bus past the British museum and saying you've seen it.

Honestly, drive up to HB and stay in that region, or forget it. My family would be having fallings out after a day like that!

Cheers.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraser Island day trip

So how did your brood go out in western Qld SB :o)))

Nottingham, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraser Island day trip

No, there’s no children. Just my partner and I, both aged 30. The link for the trip I’m looking at is

tourstogo.com.au/tour/2052-fraser-island-exc…

Reply to: Fraser Island day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted