We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing Near Brisbane

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Surfing Near Brisbane

Hello, I'm going to study for a semester at University of Queensland in Brisbane, and was wondering if there are any good surfing spots in a near distance from the city, so I wouldn't have to go to either Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. I know the surfing is probably better up there, but it would be nice to have a place where I could surf near Brisbane, because it's a pretty long way to go to any of the other 2 spots.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

The answer is a definite no. Gold and Sunny Coasts are your only surfing options, as the coastline around Brisbane is the waters of the sheltered Moreton Bay.

There's a bit of surf on the western side of Bribie Island or North Stradbroke Island, but not as easy to get to.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

Brisbane is not actually near the coast ... it's at least an hours drive north or south to the beach.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

Have a look at a map and see those two big islands of Moreton and Stradbroke. They kind of break up the waves a bit. It's called Moreton 'bay' for a reason. Anywhere the ocean directly meets the land is where the surf is. you'll be spoilt for choice when you get here.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
214 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

UQ has a surf club that might interest you. Check out their Facebook page for upcoming activities. m.facebook.com/UQSurfers

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

Bribie Island is probably the closest, but getting there without a car can be a PITA - train to Caboolture and then a 1 hour bus ride to Woorim surf beach (which is on the East not west coast of the island. The west side is Pumicestone Passage which has no surf at all)

Gold Coast is the easiest to get to.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

All about surf with cams at beaches

http://www.coastalwatch.com/

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

Actually, the surf side of Bribie is just as far as getting to Surfers Paradise or Caloundra. My pick would be to head to Caloundra, because it is on a headland, and if the surf is not good on the Eastern facing beaches, it can be ok at Kings Beach or Moffat Beach.

cheers.

8. Re: Surfing Near Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2018, 10:46