We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

Singapore River...
13 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

I be arriving Sydney by air Fri 21 Aug 12 11 am with my boy age 17 & girl age 12 - 3 person travel. We have to arrive Melbourne City latest by noon 6 Sept 12 - Total of 7 days 6 nights need to be planned.

Appreicate your advice on what is "Must See" in Sydney and self drive from Sydney to Melbourne

Q1 : How many days to spend in Sydney ? (What shall we do for each day?)

Q2 : Self Drive to Melbourne 3 person : Campervan or Car ? (eg Toyota Camry?)

Q3 : Is Campervan difficult to handle ? I hv 20 years driving experience with cars in Singapore

Q4 : Campervan - The sleeping location - Are they safe ? As there are no man with us - ha, only a young man age 17 with 2 girls)..

Q5 : Driving Itinery from Syndey to Melbourne - Great Ocean and Philip Island possible to tight in with this tight timing ?

Thanks so much for advicing

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

If you pick up a campervan in Sydney and drop off in Melbourne, I think there will be a substantial one-way fee. In any case, the road between Sydney and Melbourne is not very interesting.

At the moment, Virgin has Sydney-Melbourne flights in August for $85 (plus luggage and other charges). I really think you would do better to fly, then rent a car in Melbourne to travel the Great Ocean Road and/or Philip Island.

As to how long you should stay and what you should see, these depend on your interests. Get a guide book and read it together to decide what would be interesting to you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

agree with above ..fly from Sydney to Melbourne..the road trip is not that interesting and petrol not cheap ..combined with the one way surcharge you will be hit with...fly ..fly ...fly

Singapore River...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

thanks so much

Have taken your advice n booked Virgin air ticket 3/9/12

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

So the drive between Sydney and Melbourne isn't interesting Nick?

Driving down south along the coast, through the forests around Cann River and then along the Gippsland Beaches.

Or even the northern route and veering off at Albury and going via Beechworth, Yackandandah, Bright, Mansfield and into the Yarra Valley is very interesting ( not as familiar with the NSW side).

Off course we only have one highway - The Hume - not. Lol. Some people have limited vision...

To the OP - depending on how long you want to take have a look at sme Google maps. You can head out of Sydney on the Princess Highway and go the coastal route through some quite wild bits of NSW and Victoria then veer down the South Gippsland highway that hugs the coast of southern Victoria ( then joins back into Melbourne via the southeast suburbs).

www.wilmap.com.au/stripmaps/melbeden.html

gippslandinfo.com.au/pages/…

The second one is over 7 days but you can adapt it, cut bits out etc to do it in 2-3 days easy.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 04:25
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

What a great job posters #1 & #2, both Sydney siders, have done in detering a potential tourist to visit some of the greatest sights there are to be seen between Sydney and Melbourne. Shame. :( You should reaquaint yourselves with the trip and see what is available. As stated by 6andy6, a Mexican (Victorian), there are some great areas to see, either on the inland or coastal routes, on both sides of the border. ggoh, now that you have been talked out of driving and have booked a flight on 3/9/12, that gives you two weeks in Sydney and surrounds. There are plenty of things to see and do which can be explored on this forum. The Great Ocean Road is well worth traveling but is on the western side of Melbourne and to justice to it you need at least two nights/3 days for the Great Ocean Road and then travel back along the Murray River towards Melbourne over another couple of days. You could have easily done that in a camper, pick up and drop off in Melbourne if you were worried about one way costs. Now that you are flying into Melbourne on the 3/9 and have other plans from 6/9 it would be too tight to do it properly. You may want to reconsider whether to drive to Melbourne or at least alter your flight so that you have time to see some of the things you originally wanted to. BTW, it may be best to give more than 16 hours between posts before making firm changes to plans. That way more input can be considered from members.

Greg

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

Whether you go by the coast or by the inland route, the few interesting places are separated by hundreds of kilometres of very similar scenery. If a tourist has only limited time in Australia, I think there are better ways of spending that time than driving though countryside that does not vary much.

Singapore River...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

Is my first post in trip advisor

Tot 2 advice given same direction won't be wrong

Hv booked 3/9/12 Philip island

Travel via car ferry n 4/9/12 Lorne nite

5/9/12 nite stay at port campbell

6/9/12 1 way back Melbourne via freeway

But the 3 nite in Sydney hope will hv a great time as is my girl 13 yrs old birthday be spent there

May be some advice can be given cannot be missed in the 3 full day in sydney - we staying at Aspire Hotel in Bulwara Road. heard is a very convenient location

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

" the few interesting places are separated by hundreds of kilometres of very similar scenery."

but isn't that a road tour of anywhere in australia?

op, 3 days is a good amount of time to get from melbourne to sydney by any number of routes.

i like the coastal route (as i live on it). the only caveat is that the coastal route doen't follow the coast too often and u have to do loops and detours to get he best of it.

for the nsw section see:

www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast

a reasonable itinerary is

day 1 sydney to narooma or batemans bay(do the jervis bay loop)

day 2 narooma to lakes entrance/metung (do the bermagui-merimbula loop)

day 3 into melbourne via the south gippsland hwy doing phillip island on the way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

>>isn't that a road tour of anywhere in australia?<<

Yes, it is. And, in my opinion (which you are welcome to disagree with), in Australia the distances are such that a road trip is not a good idea for visitors who have only a limited time in the country.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Melbourne - Self Drive Advice Needed

well, nick sydney to melbourne isn't actually that far in australain terms.

u can do it in a day....even the coastal route

so 3 days is a relative easy drive in order to see more of australia than a just a couple of capital cities.

and to say the route is 'uninteresting' is a little harsh.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 16:54