We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days sufficient to see Sydney

Singapore
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How many days sufficient to see Sydney

we intend to travel with my 2 grown up kids to Sydney but not sure how many days are sufficient to see and cover the most important sightseeing places in Sydney. I appreciate any budget tips you can advise me such as booking nice reasonable place to stay and transport for private driver?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

2 days would be the minimum I'd advise, 3 even better still :) Add another day if you plan on a day trip to the Blue Mountains.

For accommodation, how much are you prepared to pay per night? An apartment might be a good choice for your family, lots of options there.

Hiring a private driver isn't common in Australia. They would work out to be very expensive if you use them every day. It is easy to get about by walking & public transport. Have a look at the top questions/FAQ's on the right hand side of this page under "more about Sydney". There is lots of info. there to help plan your visit.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

Yes, I was a bit taken aback when I saw <<transport for private driver>> and <<budget tips>> in the same sentence.

Do you, perhaps mean that you are the driver and you want to rent a car? If so, that's not a good idea in Sydney - parking is horribly expensive and hard to find.

Sydney is a very walkable city, public transport is good and taxis, while not cheap, are everywhere. There is a free bus that loops around the city that you can use. There are also a variety of travel passes that you can use, depending on where you want to go.

For accommodation, have a look at www.wotif.com and see if you can find something within your price range. Look at Circular Quay, The Rocks, CBD, Darling Harbour and around Chinatown and Central Station. The closer to the harbour, the more expensive the accommodation will be.

I'd agree that you need three days to really get a feel for Sydney and do more than look at the Bridge, Harbour and Opera House. Add another day if you want to go to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley or other area outside Sydney.

Singapore
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

Thanks Mia. You are a great help. So I can now plan about 5 days trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

5 days will be more than sufficient especially during winter time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

How is the weather in June and July may I know?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

cool days, coldish nights, usually sunny.

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_066062.shtml

Singapore
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

Thanks Lien. The weather sounds good to be there.

8. Re: How many days sufficient to see Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:48