We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire cars

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hire cars

We will be visiting in September for 5 nights, seeing Floriade, and will be hiring a car.

Does anyone have any good/ bad comments that might help?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,986 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire cars

Contrary to what others may say, Canberra is an easy place to find your way around. It is well sign posted.

Depending on where you are staying, it may be preferable to leave you car and walk to Commonwealth Park, the Floriade venue, as parking is limited.

Give us some idea of where you are staying to enable more help.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire cars

We will be staying at Kingston Serviced Apartments in Kingston. One of our group is not a walker. We will definitely want a car as we intend to see everything, and prefer the convenience.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
432 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire cars

Here is a map of the available parking

…act.gov.au/__data/…CityParking120911.pdf

Floriade is held in the space centre bottom of the map. the little parking lot shown on the map is not available during Floriade. Parking is always very tight because (even on the south side of the Lake) because the office workers are parking there all day and arriving in force from 8am.

I agree with getting a car to drive around.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire cars

Mmm. The weather may be a problem too.

So how do most people get to Floriade?

We are quite happy to use taxis instead of a hire car, but would that work?

Are there shuttle buses or anything like that?

Appreciate your help. We have no idea of what transport is available and it takes a bit of web time to find things.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire cars

There are some parking options in Civic. Parking near the TAFE (dirt carpark) is an option (underpass to Commonwealth Park, but some distance from Floriade). Otherwise several pay parking in Civic also some way from Floriade.

A lot of people walk from Civic or get off the bus at Treasury/Albert Hall & walk over the bridge. Parking in Parliamentary Triangle (notably near Questacon/National Library) used to be an option but parking there is hard to come by now unless you are very early.

Parking is easier on weekends, or get there early.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire cars

I've just been looking at the ACTION bus site, and it looks like Kingston is handy to buses, so that may be the way to go.

At this stage I'm thinking bus, taxi or hire car as last resort.

Floriade of course doesn't get a mention in the tourist section though.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire cars

floriadeaustralia.com/visitor-info/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire cars

Sorry, I meant on the ACTION web site.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire cars

I thought that's what you were referring to. I don't think ACTION puts that sort of information on their website until much closer to the time. Hope the info on the link I posted, and the FAQ's and other information accessible from there, is helpful.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire cars

Very helpful, thanks. We usually like to use the buses/ trams to get a good look around a new place, and have found them excellent in Sydney and Adelaide, and it seems Canberra is also well set up.

We'll make good use of the visitor centres once we are there.

It's not that easy doing these sorts of things by email, I've found, as often they just refer you to fact sheets and such, and you are none the wiser!

Thanks again.