We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

October 2016 - I just returned from a terrific month long vacation in Australia. Because I would be flying weekly while there I would need to regularly replenish my supply of distilled water. So, before leaving I contacted ResMed (based in Australia) about where to find distilled water. They told me any grocery store or Woolworths would carry it.

My first stop was in Cairns, a popular tourist destination, where I would explore the Great Barrier Reef and the tropical jungle parks. I spent my first day there trying to find distilled (aka "pure") water at Coles, Woolworths and several regular and discount chemists and pharmacies. It was not carried by any of those stores, so I settled for demineralized water. The following week I flew to Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the middle of the outback. Amazingly enough the small IGA store in Yulara stocked 2L bottles of "Black & Gold Distilled Water"! My next stop in Melbourne yielded the same results as in Cairns - but I then found a tiny IGA store and once again they carried the distilled water. The same held true in Sydney, where only an IGA store carried distilled water rather than the more widely available demineralized water.

Bottom line - in Australia use your smartphone to Google the location of an IGA market where you are staying for your easiest and best chance for locating distilled water.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

That's very useful information, thanks for posting. We have queries from CPAP users from time to time & there are probably others, who don't mention it, but assume the big supermarkets would carry distilled water.

Hope you had a great trip.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,343 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

I would need to double check, I think that Big W and K Mart have it in the Auto section. Also Super Cheap.

It is along time since I have purchased it as the batteries I buy now are sealed.

Good Luck

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,945 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

Auto shops now usually only sell demin water.

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
529 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

Interesting that you feel the need to use distilled water. I bought my CPAP thru resmed about 4 years ago & have NEVER used distilled water. I was advised to used cooled boiled water & have done so both here & on every interstate & overseas trip & cruise done since without any issues whatsoever.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

That's interesting, ChasRuss. My godson uses one too & he doesn't use distilled water, either.

I wondered whether there were different types of machines, with differing water requirements.

Melb
Level Contributor
112 posts
6. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

I buy 'deionised' water from my local IGA for photographic duties. I use tap water for my CPAP machine.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

Hi,

If you wan't to sleep with a smile on your face use Pure Polish Spirit.

https://www.nicks.com.au/polmos-spirytus-rek…

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

My OH has a CPAP. We used to buy demineralized water (because it was cheaper than distilled) but for the last 2or so years he has just used filtered tap water with no problems at all.

9. Re: CPAP users and finding distilled water in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2017, 09:46