We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OTC Antihistamine

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
OTC Antihistamine

Dear All

I will be travelling to Australia (Sydney & Melbourne) for a period of two weeks with my two children.

Due to my son’s health condition (allergy to the environment), he will have to take antihistamine if need arises. May I know if Zyrtec oral solution is available OTC in Australia? If I am able to purchase it from the pharmacy without any need of medical prescription, then I will not need to take it along.

Thank you.

Edited: 13 December 2012, 21:17
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OTC Antihistamine

You can get Zyrtec (or other similar anti-histamines) at just about any pharmacy without a prescription.

Alternatively, you shouldn't have any problem bringing it into Australia in its original packaging.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OTC Antihistamine

...And as you specifically asked about oral solution, Yes Zyrtec Oral is available. Not cheap here BTW but no anti histamines are. You may want to bring enough for personal use with you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OTC Antihistamine

As you are coming to Melbourne, he will probably need to take it. We have had a bad season for Hay Fever & allergies.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: OTC Antihistamine

Hi, Luigi, PerthiteOZ and ellenwillow

Thank you all very much for the information/advice.

I will bring a bottle along with me as I should think the price is cheaper over here.

Wish you all a great weekend. Cheers,

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OTC Antihistamine

Thanks for this info, even though I am sort of jumping in here. Here at home in the States, I have a few seasonal allergies, depending on what is blooming or shedding pollen or whatever. I control it with OTC Zyrtec or Benedryl. I was worried that I would start sneezing as soon as I got off the airplane because my nose would be assaulted with all kinds of unfamiliar stuff in the air. Like Hippo338, I'll bring along a decent supply but at least I know I can get more if I need it. (I wonder if the strength of the tablets is the same as in the USA?)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OTC Antihistamine

Zyrtec 10mg

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OTC Antihistamine

Most OTC medication in Aus is considerably higher dosage and cheaper than OTC in US. All the brand names will be familiar to you.

I would bring along enough to use on the plane etc then stock up once you are here.

8. Re: OTC Antihistamine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 11:46