We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

I want to go to Australia this August but my friends who have recently returned have been telling me that it is incredibly expensive at the moment.

So, I was wondering if others agreed and think I should wait or if someone can give me an idea of how much to budget for food, etc per day that I am out there.

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

In the past three years I've travelled to eastern Europe, Vietnam and Thailand,all three I found to to be very cheap,and way above what you will get in Australia. I would travel back to eastern Europe again, but I can't stand the long flight to get there. The Czech republic,Slovakia and Hungary were cheap with outstanding service and great food . Do not waste your time visiting western Europe on a budget and besides,Western Europe is extremely overrated! Vietnam on the other hand ive found to be very good value for money,that I ended up visiting the place twice. The scenery is beautiful and the food in restaurants is high quality and extremely cheap for a budget traveller such as myself. My advice is to travel Australia by car/caravan and camp. Hotels here are just crap compared to Asia or Europe and the service you get will be lousy. Harden up and adopt the "bushman" attitude and you will have better time.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
2 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

I agree with the post above. Australia was a pretty rubbish place to go on holiday before the up in prices,now i would say just avoid it generally!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

Excellent choice Sam. Glad you made it. Bit late for the OP, however, who came in August .

Peterborough, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
54. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

I'm hoping to visit Tasmania (kayaking), New Zealand (hiking the Milford Track), and Australia. I'd like to spend a month total, I see Feb. would be the time to go.

I re read this great book 'Mutant Message Down Under' and the outback now looks interesting, in Australia.

Does anyone have a must see place in any of these locations,

and any tips on traveling alone?

I am 57, female in fairly good condition.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

February will be extremely hot in the outback.

we are talking 40C +.

but if u think u would be ok under those conditions can recommend uluru in the northern territory, flinders ranges in south australia and broken hill region in new south wales.

nz has their own forum.

but really your question is not related to the subject matter of this post so suggest u start a new one. am sure u will get more response.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

yeehaw, post a separate post to obtain information.

Note that Tasmania is part of Australia and NZ has its'own fora.

I would hazard a guess that most of your responses will be to tell you that your request is too broad.

I suggest reading through the myriad of posts both on the Aus and on the NZ fora.

Did you know there was a Solo Traveller forum here on TA? tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12357-Solo_Tra…

Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

Hi, if you plan to visit Tasmania, and would like a sample of fantastic scenery, it would be hard to go past cradle mountain. Check on the Tasmania forum for more details.

58. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 January 2013, 08:37
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

thank your for your ringing endorsement backed up by erroneous information regarding accommodation and car rental costs. a little bit of research before visiting can be extremely worthwhile. i notice u didn't approach the australian forum for any information so the words 'stew' and 'juice' come to mind.

for once i am glad that our strong $A has an affect of us not being able to welcome you back here again. and once less person in our surf breaks and obviously speeding on our roads is not a bad thing either.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Is Australia too expensive to visit at the moment?

Second here, Lien. We have enough leadfoots of our own without visitors being thrown into the mix (and on the wrong side of the road, too :). The cheek of breaking the law and then complaining about being caught!