We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

About two hours ago I went on the phone to request a luggage upgrade from Tiger Airways from just hand luggage to 20 kg (cost $40), they processed a credit card payment, gave no receipt number and told me I would receive an email receipt within 5 - 10 minutes. If they don't send me a receipt / confirmation email, I assume my upgrade will be invalid at check in at the airport (after all they lose nothing but failing to confirm my upgrade). Credit statement for today not available yet. Anyone with a similar experience, can you please tell me if they will just waste my time if I call back to request confirmation? I know its just $40, but this will turn into $200 for a 20kg bag at the airport. Certainly wished I had done the luggage upgrade at time of booking (which is a $110 MEL-SYD-MEL trip including insurance, no seat reservation though).

Also, has anyone ever claimed on their cancellation insurance? After reading the fine print, it doesn't really seem like its worth anything.

By the way, when calling Tiger Airways, I found the call centre operator very difficult to hear, I had to ask them to repeat some statements, and at one stage was told "I already told you". I was required to give the booking reference number according to the phonetic alphabet which proved difficult when I couldn't remember the code word for Q (Quebec). I only had to wait about 10 minutes certainly ok with that, although the same recorded message repeated over and over without pause during the waiting time.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
105 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

LOL sorry about your trouble the spelling thing cracked me up. Seems like Tiger and Ryan air are competing for the worst airline award.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

how rude of them to say that they had already told you,when you coudnt hear them,I have difficulty hearing,so I wouldnt be impressed about that..Id remind them that I am paying their wage,mind you,it sounds like theyd hang up on me if I said that!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

From all the bad PR Tiger get here, I think Tiger possibly beat RyanAir hands down on the shoddy service front. There's always people who will come to their defence and say they had a good flight, on time, decent service etc...but the fact remains there's also an awful lot of discontent - especially as soon as you need to deal with a human being. Booking online and getting on the flight all seems as straightforward as with any other airline, in spite of the maze of extra charges which make the flights not much cheaper than any of the "proper" airlines, but one you disobey one of their petty rules or there's a delay or a problem, getting a resolution seems well nigh impossible. Pay peanuts and all that.....

All I can say penanghill is good luck!! And take any paperwork that you can when you check in (e.g. print out your credit card statement if/when the additional luggage charge finally shows up) just in case you end up in a dispute with check-in staff about what you have and haven't paid for...Oh and get there very early.

Flying Tiger seems to me like an awful lot of effort for a fairly modest cost saving!!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

fly cheap.. expect cheap....

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience but I really believe, from reading the posts in this forum alone, that the stress associated with dealing with this type of airline is simply not worth it. Why spoil a holiday just to save a few $$.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

out of the mouth of my 13 yr old nephew,after watching the show on them,Airways,.....who would fly with them!!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

ps.....no insult to anyone who has flown them and not had a problem with,or does work for them and does do their job well.....

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

yes. lilyana.. lol

. some people do manage to fly with these cut price airlines and avoid the pitfalls that sadly others are inflicted with. I just think that if your holiday depends on being somewhere at a certain time (or connecting flights!!)

then why risk being dumped from a booked flight. There is a place for cheaper airlines but everyone needs to be aware of the risks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

TW: Your last sentence is spot on...the only problem is that the people that jump at the super cheap airfares are usually also the most inexperienced travellers and therefore often unaware of the risks. And then to take it a step further, also they're also the ones most likely to try and make a fuss when they fall foul of the rules and restrictions on those bargain basement fares....

To this day I wonder whether Virgin or Qantas were sponsoring that dreadful TV show that showed all the arguments at Tiger check in counters. Tiger certainly didn't get any positive PR out of it - as evidenced by Lil's nephhew's comment!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

Tiger Airways Call Centre is in Singapore, if you are lucky to get through.

Fly low cost and the experience is the same!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tiger Airways Luggage Upgrade, Insurance, Call Centre.

my nephew also had had awful experiences with Tiger apart from watching the show,his judgement was based on personal experiences.