We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

Hi,

Just after some advice. I will be visiting a friend during my time in Australia. She emigratted a few years ago and misses a certain chocolate from the UK!! I will be bringing a few packets over with me in my suitcase, will this be okay to bring into the country?

many thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

Yes, you can bring chocolate... but you MUST declare it (some people don't consider it to be food apparently...).

Of course that also means you have to go in the "something to declare" line which IME is always the longest dammit ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

Don't put the packets in the suitcase...put them in your hand luggage...if they are in the case it is much slower thru customs and they are likely to dig just that bit more...

Make sure they don't contain nuts or fruit as these are more likely to be confiscated (more to the palate of the customs inspector!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,922 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

In Perth the "something to declare" line is always quicker, especially if it's something that will ultimately be OK, like confectionery or biscuits. So we always bring back lollies or biscuits :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

Adelaide - I must confess I am one of those people who, until recently, never thought of chocolate/lollies as food in the real sense of the word. Then I was watching Border Security on TV and some old bloke was getting a right earful because he had a squillion cough lollies for goodness sake and had not declared them as food.

So last OS trip I declared my chocolate on the card and got sent through the nothing to declare line by the woman checking the queue! When I got home I realised I had a back pack full of cough lollies too (since I was dying) but had forgotten about them. Maybe she took pity because of my red nose and watery eyes? :-)

One of my Aunts in the UK used to own a sweet shop and bought over a suitcase full of English sweets and chocolates for us - Customs drooled but let them all through - including Fruit'n Nut :-) so shouldn't be a problem, abs1982

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

Hey Abs... I do have to admit my addiction to Chocolate... Customs does know's me well...

Adelaide is correct, hop into the declared line and you should get through pretty quickly (the last time I declared something I was in the line from Fiji and the custom's officer put a pocket knife into icecream??? I suppose better to be safe then sorry... after asking the passenger what type of Icecream I was informed homemade Banana and Coconut... mmm must be good for all that trouble..

You should be pretty right getting it through... but if your friend is from Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney then you should be able to get your UK sweeties from specialty confectionary shops... they do take a bit to get to depending on where you live... so maybe a friend bringing them over is easier and cheaper!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

Brilliant thanks guys,

My only problem now if not eating them before I get to her!!

I've often gone through with chocolate and things like that and not gone into the 'declare' line-whoops!!!

7. Re: Am I allowed to bring in Chocolate to Australia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 11:53