We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March itinerary help

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
24 reviews
March itinerary help

Greetings! I am trying to put together a first (but not only) trip to Australia for myself and my husband during this coming March (21st-April 1st-ish). Unfortunately I can't take any more time off of work so I'm limited to about 10-12 nights on the ground (not including our international travel days to and from the US.

It is extremely difficult to narrow down where to go for our first visit, but taking the weather into consideration it looks like it would be best to stay in the southern region, as much as I would love to spend a few days around the GBR. I'm guessing that is best left for a future trip when I can take time off in June or July.

Anyways, we will probably plan on 3-4 nights in Sydney, plus I'm mainly interested in wildlife/scenery so Kangaroo Island caught my interest, particularly staying at the Southern Ocean Lodge for 3 nights or so. Other than that, where would be another spot for a home base for 3-4 more days? We are not as interested in self-dive road trips and stopping every day, more interested in picking one spot then possibly doing some private tour/day trips from there. Saffire Freycinet looks amazing then maybe doing a night or two in Hobart, but not sure how all of the flights would work out with that combination of locations, seems like a lot of jumping around. We don't mind flying, but also don't want to waste full days or extra overnights for traveling. If anyone has suggestions for alternatives to Kangaroo Island, or possible tropical/beach resorts that wouldn't be stuck in the cyclone/stinger zone for March I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: March itinerary help

With 10 or 12 days, stick to 2 locations. Sydney and KI works well. 5 nights for Sydney (including a trip to the Blue Mountains), then fly to Adelaide. You can hire a car there to drive to KI (just check that your hire car is allowed on the ferry) or you can fly to KI from Adelaide and hire a car in the island. 3 nights on KI is good, but you might like to consider 4 nights - 2 in the SOL and 2 in the east, eg Kingscote. Adelaide is worth a visit, you might be interested in the wine areas (Barossa Valley or McLaren Vale). Each time you change location you lose at least half a day. Can you fly into Sydney and fly home from Adelaide?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
207 reviews
2. Re: March itinerary help

Agree, 5 nights in Sydney including a day trip to the Blue Mountains by train and 5-6 nights in Adelaide and KI. Tasmania is best with a week. There are not many spots in Australia where you can stay in one spot and do day trips from there, it’s way too big.

All the best.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,851 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: March itinerary help

Agree with two destinations only in your time frame.

You could combine Sydney with a road trip heading down the coast to Kiama/Batemans Bay, across to Canberra (don't dismiss Canberra - lots to do both nature and culture-wise) for a couple of nights, then up to Jenolan Caves via Oberon and then Blue Mountains. So, maybe 4 nights Sydney, 4 nights this road trip, the rest KI - but you need the four nights total to do KI properly.

Hiring the car in Adelaide would also give you unlimited KM's per day, where as if you hire on KI, they charge you for more than 100 or 200km per day.

Cheers.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: March itinerary help

We’ve done two two-week trips early March and of everywhere we went, KI was everything I’d hoped and imagined Australia to be. Absolutely fantastic. While there, do a day trip or two with Exceptional Kangaroo Island (I’m pretty sure they can coordinate with your intended lodging) for some amazing wildlife sightings as well as scenery. If you want to have a snuggle with a koala, you can do that at the wildlife park on KI. Of our 4 weeks total in Oz, we spent only a day in Sydney. It’s a lovely city but I think it’s whats outside the cities that is so special. def Try to spend at least one of the Sydney days in the Blue Mts. We haven’t even touched Tasmania yet but I’m working on planning a full 2 weeks there because there is so much to see.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 17:48
Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: March itinerary help

Oh, also KI has some gorgeous beaches, nearly or totally deserted.

Reply to: March itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted