We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Lights

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Southern Lights

Hi there

Was wondering if anyone can help- we're travelling to Tassie between 3-13 Oct 2018 and was hoping to catch the southern lights there. Was thinking of Southport or South East Cape but found out that we cant use rental cars down there due to unsurfaced roads - so that is out.

Have anyone seen the lights anywhere in Tassie?

Thanks for your help.

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
145 reviews
1. Re: Southern Lights

I don't have any personal experience but this link might help;

https:/…

I'm sure our local experts will be here soon. :)

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,492 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Southern Lights

You would have to be lucky. Tasmania is not particularly close to the polar region. If the aurora is strong it may be visible. Check this link

www.aurora-service.net/aurora-forecast/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Southern Lights

Hi captk2071 and gregs3071 thank you so much for your replies. It definitely was very informative and I'll definitely follow your advices. Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: Southern Lights

Southport is accessed via a sealed road. It's when you past there on the C636 that the sealed road ends - from memory around Ida Bay.

I would check with the hire car company re driving on the unsealed roads in Tasmania as the rules can differ between companies and between States. At any rate, it's not going to effect your potential view of the Southern Aurora seeing it from Southport versus vs Ida Bay vs Cockle Creek - you need a good view of the horizon, the right atmospheric conditions and a lot of luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Southern Lights

Thanks Simone_a13 appreciate that.

Cheers.

Reply to: Southern Lights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted