We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Shohola...
Level Contributor
11 posts
79 reviews
When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

My graduate student is going alone on a trip to Australia to do research and I have a question about customs. Flying from LAX into SYD and then on to CBR on the same airline same ticket. Will she need to clear customs in SYD or CBR. They have a layover of 1 hour in Sydney is this enough time. I am a very nervous mom so I just want to ensure she has as smooth a trip as possible. Any input would be appreciated!

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Technically, it is the first port of entry which is Sydney where she need to clear customs and immigration. The flight from Sydney to Canberra is domestic and it is in a different terminal. With both flights on the same ticket, is it Qantas? She should be able to use the seamless transfer to the domestic terminal if it is Qantas. 1 hour is tight with little room to spare if there are any delays. However, being on one ticket, she will be put in the next available flight if she misses the connection. Not ideal though.

Shohola...
Level Contributor
11 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

It is delta airlines. I thought it would be too close. Does she have to retrieve her luggage and then recheck it to go through customs? Also, thanks for quick repply.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Yes. Immigration first ( she does have her visa?). Then reclaim her bag and pass through customs. Can take anything from 15 minutes to an hour. Then she has to get to the domestic terminal.

Which airline is the SYD-CBr flight on?

Shohola...
Level Contributor
11 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Virgin Australia and yes she does have visa and is working with university there on all the details of where to stay but she is planning flights and then getting reimbursed.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Here’s a map and directions for using the Virgin Australia seamless transfer service to get from InternTional to Domestic. It’s a right connection. In the event she misses the connecting flight, VA will book on her on the next flight with available seats.

https:/…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,969 posts
114 reviews
6. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

She goes through passport/immigration control, heads to luggage to collect that and goes through customs/quarantine where she will be asked about what she is carrying and hands over her arrivals card, this is the time consuming part.

Once that is done she officially enters the country, she needs to then look for the "Transfer Desk" where she will hand over her luggage and get directed to the transfer bus to the domestic terminal. All that happens next is for her to go to her gate and board her Canberra flight.

Australian airport security is much quicker than the US and the staff are very friendly and helpful ... she will get through fairly quickly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
143 reviews
7. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Good advice from others. 1 hour connect is tight for Sydney because of the layout for the airport terminals and the amount of passenger traffic at certain time of day. But airlines keep doing it because they work off statistics and averages. Just tell your daughter not to stress. Even if she misses her connection, they will put her on the next flight. There are quite a few between Sydney and Canberra. :)

Shohola...
Level Contributor
11 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

Thank you all for your quick replies it's her first time going alone to a different country and since it is so far away from us, I am nervous.

Shohola...
Level Contributor
11 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight

AmoMondo your link didn't post for the map to get from international arrivals to departure. Could you please post again, thank you.

Reply to: When do you go through customs on a connecting flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted