We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Head east or west??

Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Head east or west??

Hi all! My partner and I are leaving for 9 weeks in January from adelaide to go “around” Australia. We won’t be doing Melbourne as it’s the closest city to us and we can do/and have done this at any time.

At this stage we have accepted that going to Yalara and Alice may have to be another trip. My question is, do you think we should head from adelaide to Perth, or Adelaide to Sydney? Any suggestions? Ha anyone done this?

Thanks!

Kate.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
951 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Head east or west??

Remember how hot it is up north, and the threads of flood, cyclone etc...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Head east or west??

Well, January is peak holiday season anywhere on the coast, so you are going to struggle to get accom in beach side caravan parks.

You could explore inland NSW and Qld (up to Longreach/Winton etc) until end of January and then come back down the coast.

WA SW Corner is also going to be jam-packed with holiday makers.

Cheers.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Head east or west??

I think going across the Nullarbor is a great road trip, even in summer. But then would you plan to go north or re- trace back across the Nullarbor to avoid the wet in the north?

As long as you have accommodation sorted on the south coast areas of WA- Esperance, Albany, Denmark and the Margaret river region you would be fine.

To qualify SB’s comments: I’m regularly in the south coast areas of WA in January and it’s never jammed pack. Plenty of areas to find which are deserted, walks where you meet no one else and a table at my favourite coffee shop! It’s really only the Margaret River region, being closer to Perth, which get quite busy.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Head east or west??

Hi,

Owing to the Coriolis effect you should travel in a clockwise motion to improve fuel economy.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
2,066 reviews
5. Re: Head east or west??

Due to the wet season in Northern Queensland I would head to WA via the Nullarbor to Esperance, Albany, & explore the Margaret River region . Its a beautiful part of Australia with gorgeous beaches & at this time of the year it will be fabulous although its still very hot ..

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,805 posts
170 reviews
6. Re: Head east or west??

Can you start your trip in March? then you could do southern part of WA and then head north, across to NT and back home through The Centre. That would be a great trip.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 11:22
Reply to: Head east or west??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted