We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Hi everyone,

I will be in Cairns from the 26th of December to the 31st of December. I was wondering what my options were to travel to Port Douglas for a day or two? Is there public transport, shuttles, or anything else that I can use? I am also going to be in Kangaroo Island the week after. Would I need a car around Kangaroo Island to go to the attractions such Flinders Chase National Park, Seal Bay Conservation Park etc? I would prefer not to rent a car in either of these places, but if my options are limited I don't mind considering it.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 04:30
9 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Unless taking a tour of Kangaroo Island, you need a car.

For Port Douglas, it can be done without a car, but I prefer to have one, and if you hire that at Cairns airport then you save the cost of the shuttles up and back and it gives you much more flexibility.

Cheers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Are there any recommendations for companies I should hire a car for in Carins and KI? How does the process for renting a car usually work? This will be my first time doing so. How old do you have to be to rent a car?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Any of the majors.

Use www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au to compare prices. You may be better to book direct with the company. Usually you would need to be 25 or older but there are some companies hat will hire to younger drivers.

Cheers.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,881 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

The minimum age for renting a car will be 21, but some car rental companies will not rent to people under 25. Those companies that do rent to people aged 21-25 will charge a supplement which can be hefty.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Will I be able to easily access parking spots? From Cairns I am thinking of driving to Daintree Rainforest, Cape Tribulation, Kuranda, Port Douglas and if I have enough time a day trip to Atherton Tablelands.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 06:59
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Yes, parking will not be an issue.

Cheers

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Easy driving and parking though you do not want to go north of cape tribulation unless the weather is good as the pavement ends just beyond. No trouble with parking in any o the areas/towns you mentioned.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

Renting a car in Cairns is an excellent idea as driving gives you more flexibility to getting to all the major attractions & also doing a little exploring. You will need a car on Kangaroo Island. Rent one from the airport.

http://www.kangarooisland.sa.gov.au/airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas

I am planning to get to KI by the ferry from Adelaide. Would I have to hire a car in Adelaide and bring it onto the ferry or should I get the car from the KI airport? If I get the car from the airport how would I be able to get to the airport based on where I get dropped off from the ferry?

Reply to: Australia - Cairns/Port Douglas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted