We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

Bolton, United...
3 posts
1 review
Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

In 2019 we are travelling to Australia and having stop offs on the outward and inward journeys.

Each airline has its own allowances. We have one internal Virgin Australia flight between Sydney and Melbourne. I can see that Virgin Australia operate a strange system whereby; not only do they restrict weight, as normal, they also operate a maximum cumulative linear dimension of 140 Cm for hold baggage (our brand new cases' cumulative linear dimensions are 160 Cm and 158 Cm) and 105 Cm for cabin luggage (our existing cabin bags' cumulative linear dimensions are 113 Cm and 104 Cm)

Bearing in mind that we have already bought our new cases and have existing cabin bags for this trip, the Virgin Australia flights baggage allowance is very poor and this is because it is an internal flight. IE they don't cater for trans-global travellers, visiting Australia.

I called VA and they are unsympathetic and say just take another large case and pay 70 AUSD per case. if you go over the 23Kg hold case weight it also costs 70 AUSD

My question to seasoned travellers is; in your experiences "do they ever actually MEASURE overall cumulative linear dimensions" and you are OK as long as you are within weight limits?

I cannot envisage people at check in measuring cumulative dimensions of HxDxL and adding them together

11 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
122 reviews
1. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

Are you taking any Qantas flights because they have the same size restrictions?

I can't offer any advice, I have never used oversized luggage that I know of ... are you actually looking for replies from people who do and have not paid excess fees?

Your American travel experience shouldn't cloud what you expect in other countries.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 04:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

I googled cumulative linear dimension to try and help you but got myself even more confused... the results dont relate to air flight

I dont know 100% what you mean, but my guess is that you measure the length, height and width and the sum of all 3 cant be greater that 140cm...

Something to consider is qantas, who have a total 158cm for their allowance and 32KG on domestic, seems your cases would pretty much fir their criteria perfectly.. their flights might not be as cheap but with baggage fee's etc it might actually be worth it..

But as to whether staff at the airport will measure your bags... i have no idea...

Edited: 07 August 2018, 04:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

sorry...

gave you a bum steer right then... i scrolled down the page and realised I had locked onto international allowances...

qantas is the same as virgin...

however... the fine print says if you buy all your flights with qantas, they carry over your international baggage allowances to their domestic flights...

see if your airline does the same,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

The big issue is weight. Don't exceed the 23kg and you'll be fine. That's about 50lb, so it's still a lot.

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

The carry-on needs to fit within the measuring cage at the airport. If it is obviously out of those dimensions you could expect to be queried. A centimetre either way is unlikely to be an issue.

Cheers

UF

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

As someone else has said it may be picked up at the boarding gate. There is a frame with the airlines dimensions on it and if they decide to enforce the rule (my observation is that they do when they have a full flight) or if your bag looks obviously oversize and it can't fit into the frame then you will be forced to pay and it will be taken off you and put in the hold last minute.

The bags need to fit in the over head lockers and allow all other passengers to have room to put theirs in too. American Airlines traditionally have more cabin allowances but you find that in Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

May have been better to research the maximum size restrictions of your intended airlines before you bought your “ brand new luggage”?

I doubt Virgin had your purchase in mind when they set their rules & regs ;)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,150 posts
122 reviews
8. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

The OP is asking about checked luggage ... seems his/her carry-on is within limits.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

I was responding to the cabin luggage of 113 Cm and that doesn't seem to meet the 105cm criteria. I can't reply to the 140cm checkin Hold luggage as I don't know

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia

I e travelled around. Dozen times with VA on domestic flights with a checked bag over those measurements. I wasn’t aware of them at the time, just the 23kg weight. No one said anything. That doesn’t mean you will get away with it though. You may be charged an oversized baggage fee. I’ve now got a smaller big bag for my next trip.

Cabin bags they are more likely to notice. Size really does matter. I prepay in advance to check mine on domestic flights. It’s half the price of being “caught”at the airport.

It was a bit daft not checking the sizes for all flights before buying new bags. Whinging that a carrier doesn’t suit you is not going to garner you sympathy. You’ll not find a carrier in Australia that will allow that bigger cabin bag.

Reply to: Cumulative linear baggage allowance on Virgin Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted