We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne - Tasmania - Sydney Itinerary

1 post
Save Topic
Melbourne - Tasmania - Sydney Itinerary

Hi everyone, I need help with planning a trip to Australia in Feb 2019.

My friend and I are thinking about starting from Melbourne and then fly to Launceston, and then drive around Tasmania and fly to Sydney out of Hobart (we want our last stop in Sydney and finish all outdoor activities before that so we can chill out). We are females in our mid 20s and enjoy the beach, the great outdoors, beautiful scenery, photography, animals (but not insects :P), good food (both cheap and expensive), shopping, drinking, going out, meeting people, cultural stuff etc and want to make sure we will get to do all these during our 2 week trip so here i have a few questions before booking our flights:

1. How long to spend in each place? We are thinking 4 days in Melbourne, 6 days in Tasmania, 5 days in Sydney but we are flexible and want suggestions please.

2. Are parks, beaches, and nature more beautiful in Tasmania than Melbourne and Sydney? I looked up top national parks in Australia and looks like Tas has the best parks. However, if anyone thinks we can get the same thing in Melbourne or Sydney, we might just skip Tas altogether and spend more time in Victoria and NSW.

3. How is the drive from Launceston to Hobart?

4, If we do end up skipping Tas, please suggest parks, reserves, outdoor adventures we can do in Victoria/ NSW?

5. If we skip Tas, could we fit in another place? Maybe Canberra? and would you recommend driving from Melbourne to Syd?

If anyone could answer my questions, thank you so much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
3 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne - Tasmania - Sydney Itinerary

Tasmania is fantastic if you want wildlife, great landscapes, good walking and great food. 6 days there is doing it pretty quick though. Personally I would cut a day or two from Sydney and add this to Tasmania, but I’m not a fan of cities.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
537 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne - Tasmania - Sydney Itinerary

In a 2 week visit you have a good mix:

>>> the great outdoors, beautiful scenery, photography, animals <<<

Tasmania has plenty of that, so 6 days will give you a good fix

>>> the beach, shopping, drinking, going out, meeting people <<<

Melbourne and Sydney have you covered...

Theres also great national parks all over NSW and VIC, but i wouldn't say any particular area has it over others, each has their unique features... the weather in Feb will probably be the best weather Tasmania has all year... so 100% do not cut out Tassie.

>>> make sure we will get to do all these during our 2 week trip <<<

You will get a good mix by visiting these areas but you miss out on our whole western, central and northern parts of the country which is a completely different experience again...

Edited: 06 August 2018, 11:38
Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne - Tasmania - Sydney Itinerary

We did the opposite of yours late last year/early this year. Flew to Sydney, went to Hobart, and then Melbourne. Also had two 1 night stops - Blue Mountains and Phillip Island (both could be done as a day trip).

Blue Mountains (NSW) is wonderful scenery. Great lookout points, and if you are into hiking, there are many choices.

I don't think you have the time to drive from Sydney to Melbourne.

Do not skip Tasmania. It gives you a totally different side of Australia. It was wonderful. We took a drive to Freycinet National Park one day, and the Tasman Peninsula another. We were talking to a waiter in one of the restaurants in Hobart the first night. After hearing our accents he mentioned that he was glad we included it in our trip - so many Americans only see the big cities.

Phillip Island (Victoria) was about the wildlife. Nothing else. There are two hour cruises that take you to the seal rocks - seals as far as the eye can see. The penguin parade starts after sunset. You can watch the penguins waddling out of the ocean towards their babies. You cannot take pictures of the penguins, but you will find birds and wallabies before it gets dark. There were multiple koalas in the trees at the conservatory.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains