We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

London, United...
5 posts
Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

I am planning to visit Uluru in the middle of January with a friend of mine since we are travelling around the east coast and we wanted to visit it even though it is out of our way. We were looking for accommodation and we can get 2 beds in a mixed dorm for $38 per person per night which adds up to around $230. Would i be correct to assume the bus from the airport is complimentary although we are paying such a small price for the accommodation. It does not include it in the package and it is almost misleading since some people say that the bus is complementary for people staying in the resort. I was looking at the lost camel but that came to $675 for 3 nights which we feel that is too much, we will primarily be using the dorms just for sleeping and are looking to be out most of the day, one large problem with the lodge would be the fact that it has no swimming pool, i have looked and other people say pool hopping is still allowed (swimming in other pools), would i be correct to assume that? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Regards, Aaron

5 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

Where is mixed dorm? If part of Outback Pioneer, there is a pool, there. Even if you are not staying at Outback Pioneer, I don't think that anybody monitors who is using the pool.

You plan to be out and about all day. There are 2 problems with that. First, how will you get around if you don't hire a car? Second, it will be so hot in January that you will have to stay either in air-conditioned indoor or by the pool. All your outdoor activities will have to be done about 11 am and after 5 pm. So if I were you, I would make sure that I have somewhere to escape the heat during the day.

We were there at Christmas several years ago and again first week of November last year. Trust me, you need to escape the heat.

Sorry, I have no idea about the shuttle from the airport. I assume that it if it free for guests in general, it would be free for you too regardless of what accommodation you choose.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 02:07
London, United...
5 posts
2. Re: Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

Thank you for the reply, taking into consideration what you have said we will probably end up staying in the lost camel since the dorms probably wouldn't be amazing to spend a few hours every day getting away from the heat. i suppose we will just have to go for it and hope for the best, i wanted to stay in the camel just because of the fact it looks like a much more pleasant environment, and for the record it would have been the outback dorms. Many thanks for your help, its appreciated, Aaron

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
790 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

Do you really want to spend three nights? I would think two nights would be plenty. Shuttle is free to the various lodging options.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 03:33
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
170 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

3 nights would not be too long for me. We have been to Uluru 3 times, and had 4 nights in our visit several years ago. It is such a unique/magical place.

Having a car would be the best way of doing it. You could even visit Kings Canyon for a day. You would need to start early and do the Rim walk before it gets too hot, as the walk closes if temperature reaches 35 degrees celsius.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 03:46
Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
384 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Uluru (recommendations)

The bus transfer is always free. It is paid for by Voyages and it appears some travel agents use "free transfer" as an advertising gimmick to get customers.

You can swim at any pool in the resort because it is all owned by the same company. There is nothing stopping you from using the facilities at any hotel in the entire resort.

Reply to: Visiting Uluru (recommendations)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted