We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

I'm looking at driving this route in one day in mid-September: https://goo.gl/maps/GBUu3VD3jmQ2

How much is dirt? We'll be in a rental.

Would it be a decent road to drive that time of year?

Is it scenic and worth the time to drive it?

Anything along that route of note?

I think I would rather go along the Alpine way (thredbo to Khancoban), but am questioning the road conditions- snowy / icy at that time of year. (we do have a rental that is approved in alpine areas and have made arrangements for chains if we go this way)

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

I drove the M31 Hume Highway yesterday, and it is boring. And about a million years ago, I did the rest, and I don't recall any dirt sections.

In September it would be unusual for snow. I'd be more worried about Roos and wombats.

Remember, Australia has hills, in Utah you have mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

The dog on the tucker box at Gundagai. Gold mining ruins at Adelong. Sugar Pine forest at Laurel Hill. Paddy's Falls. Pretty hills.

There may be some dirt road near the river after Towong, I can't remember. If there is it will be very good dirt road and nothing to worry about.

As mentioned snow is very unlikely, although I have driven the section through Laurel Hill with it snow packed once. Nothing that you won't have seen much worse at home.

Mentioned in this post
Gundagai
Gundagai
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

The road from Canberra to Adaminaby is likely to have gravel - the google little yellow man won't go on that road which usually means gravel. On google maps there was a sign outside Adaminaby saying 42km of gravel road. This route is a back road through Scabby Range Reserve.

Not sure what the car hire place will say (likely no).

Edited: 06 August 2018, 02:33
Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Adaminaby
Adaminaby
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

If there is any unsealed road, you need to check wiht your car hire company that the car is allowed on dirt road. Most won't allow it, even short distances.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

That's interesting. The Google Maps link kbecjeans gave in the OP gives different routes depending on whether it is a computer or a mobile device. Which means different answers.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

Thanks for pointing that out Noel-Donna. I am not looking at the standard road via the Hume highway which is my back up. So apparently the link must be viewed from a computer to give the correct route. I am looking at a route that goes through the mountains that I don’t know how to describe otherwise, which is why I posted the link. Some of you are saying there might be unsealed parts of the road ?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,177 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury

None of the road marked in your link is gravel. It's a particularly scenic mountain drive. Very unlikely to be snow in September.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 08:45
Reply to: Questions on route from Canberra to Albury
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted