We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

3 posts
domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

I am looking for insurance for a small trip from Melbourne to Gold Coast.

I want to get insurance to cover cancellation of a flight by the airline.

ie. flight cancelled then we have to use a more expensive airline

Last year I used 1cover, and made a claim for the same situation, however when I enquire as to whether they will cover in my next trip they keep referring me to a clause in the PDS that specifies reasons other than simple cancellation by the airline.

Therefore I am worried that if our flight is cancelled due to staffing or mechanical reasons, I will not be covered.

Hoping someone can recommend an insurer that they know will cover flight cancellations for domestic flights.

Thank you :)

8 replies to this topic
1. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 August 2018, 10:23

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
164 reviews
2. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

Sounds like you might be considering using Tiger or Scoot, both of which I believe have a record of cancelling flights. Have you looked into comparing the cost of the low cost carrier plus insurance with that of a more expensive airline? I think Jetstar have a more reliable record than the aforementioned.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

I have never had a flight cancelled on me. However, I thought that if the airline cancelled, they would have to refund you, or am I missing something?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,148 posts
122 reviews
4. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

Cheap fare plus insurance cost ... more than likely cheaper to just book Qantas. Who insures domestic flights?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,766 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

I have had flights cancelled more than once but have always been offered an alternative by the airline.

The airlines (not just Qantas) also offer insurance for these circumstances-though I never bother seems a bit like overkill to me.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 11:06
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

If we book (domestic) air travel quite a few months out we take up the Qantas insurance offer which I think is either $10-12 but this is in case WE have to cancel for any reason.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,938 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

For domestic travel I never bother about travel insurance. If the airlines cancel the flights we have arranged then there is usually some compensation available such as a refund or an offer of an alternative flight.

If I have to cancel the trip myself due to unforeseen circumstances I just wear those costs myself.

8. Re: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 November 2018, 08:33
Edited: 28 November 2018, 08:33

Reply to: domestic travel insurance - melbourne to gold coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted