We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Roma
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Hello to everyone,

I know that the distances are big and it is a long trip.

But unfortunately we have only 19 days!

We arrive in Darwin the 16 of august in the morning very soon, we will leave from Perth in the evening the 3 of September.

I'm looking for suggestions, places "not to miss", your experience and your patience you think will help me :-).

We are traveling with a motorhome, so we cannot drive on the Gibb River Road, even if I can see that now it seems that road conditions are not so bad.

What inspires me the most is Kakadu, Purnululu, Broome, Exmouth area (with also francois peron national park), and Pinnacle Desert.

What do you think? Is it doable?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

12 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Well yes its doable but as tou say you will miss places. Corrugations on the Gibb will ruin a motorhome not to mention the tyre damage etc. its not a total walk in the park.

darwin 2

Litch 1

Kakadu 2

Katherine 1

Lake arg1

Fitzroy x 1

Broome 2

Then another 8 to get to Perth

You cant get themitorhime into Purnulu as uts 4wd only. Option is a heli flight in or day trip from caravan park on the highway.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Can you take the motorhome on gravel ?

Roma
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

No I cannot, the rental company doesn't allow me to do that.

I was just wondering if it was feasible. :-)

Thank you very much for your answer

I'm thinking to rent a 4wd for 1 day, in Broome to visit dampier peninsula or take t tour to Francois Peron NP, where do you think it is better to spend this opportunity?

Edited: 03 August 2018, 19:41
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

It just very rushed and you wont have time to see too much other than basic surface things.

The road up towards Caoe Leveque is very rough and you need to allow 3-4 hrs min to get up . Its a very solid and tough drive due to corrugations.

Why dont you do a flying day trip ?

Roma
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

I will think about, but I think that it will be very expensive, isn't t?

do you think that one between Litch and Katherine can be skipped?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,874 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Will the rental company allow you to leave the vehicle in Perth? Are you aware of the hefty one-way fee they usually charge?

Edited: 03 August 2018, 23:00
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

We did Darwin to Margaret River an back to Perth in 23 days. However, we didn't spend any time in Darwin or Katherine as we had done those before. We only had 2 nights in Kakadu and 1 night in LItchfiled NP and did stay 1 night in Katherine to shorten the drive to Kununurra. We hired a 4WD for 3 days in Kununurra and did Bungle Bungles and El Questro. We also hired a 4WD in Derby and did Tunnel Creek and Windjana NP. We took a tour inside Karijini NP as best parts of the park are only 4WD accessible.

Having said that, 19 days is very tight, but an be done. However, without 4WD you will miss out on some of the best bits. Bungle Bungles is a must IMO as is Karijini.

One way drop off fee wasn't too bad. They are ok when hiring for longer periods, or were when we did it several years ago.

Roma
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Thank you very much for your answers.

Tours to Purnululu are too much expensive, probably the best is to rent 4x4 somewhere to explore around kununurra. Besides, traveling with kids I prefer to avoid fixed tours.

Do you think that region around Ningaloo can be visited at the end of august? We really would like to have opportunity to see shark whales...

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

August is a great time weather wise for Ningaloo.

Swimming with whale sharks is coming to an end in August.

visitningaloo.com.au/things-to-see-do/whale-…

There’s now swim with humpback whales which operate in August:

https:/…swim-humpback-whales

You will see with prices that these tours aren’t exactly cheap . However, you can snorkel from the beach so don’t need boat trips for this though of course you can do tours as well:

visitningaloo.com.au/our-region/ningaloo-ree…

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help

Tours to Purnululu are expensive and not that good from what I have heard. I met a couple at Purnululu who did a tour from the camping ground at the highway, at the turn off into Purnululu the day before. They said that the tour was all very rushed and they weren't given time to do it properly. They came back the next day with another couple they had just met at the camp ground.

I suggets hiring a 4WD.

Late August is perfectly fine to visit Ningaloo, We were there either last day of August or first days of September. We weren't interested in Whales, but did a tour to the Reef. It was quite impressive.

Just to add, it is great time to see wildflowers in WA.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 17:10
Reply to: 19 days darwin to perth with a motorhome - please help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted