We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Klang, Malaysia
12 posts
Save Topic
ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Hi all, I will be travelling in a group of 4 from Malaysia to Perth in early of Sep this year. We had submitted our Visa application 2 months before and just got to know that one of our friend's application was rejected. They required additional information to be sent to them. So she had sent all the additional information and it has been said that the application has been refer to Australia High Commission. My question is, is there any method or way that i can call to follow up the status? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
19 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Your friend can check the status of their application on the Immi account they created to apply for the passport.

Read the last few pages of this long thread. More applications from Malaysian passport holders are now being checked in greater detail. I think post #82 has something about the problem: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g25…

14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Hi, I am travelling to Perth this coming mid of September.

I was recently rejected as well, however my friends of 4 got the green light.

I am a small startup that began it's operations since April this year and, with small companies, earnings may not be so bright in the early days. Thus I had been administering a salary of RM 2,500 from my company. However, I had other streams of income eg projects, freelancing jobs and so on.

I was rejected based on the reason that my salary "is not attractive enough" to make sure I return to Malaysia upon the expiry of my Visa, which I think is very unfair due to the fact that the company had recently started operating (about 3 months). And because the Home Affairs had requested to view statements of only 3 months.

On my bank statements, it may show figures less than RM 10,000 but it was also due to the fact that :

1) I've paid all my expenses for the trip (Accommodation, car rental, Insurance, Flight Tickets, all for 15 days worth of trip)

2) I've prepared a significant amount of AUD which I believe will be enough for the entire trip, I have also prepared a good amount of USD and MYR in cash just in case.

3) I've previously travelled to S.Korea, Taiwan and Thailand earlier this year, and someone had to pay for the trips and that guy is myself.

The person who rejected my application had never considered :

1) My assets (car)

2) My investments (Forex, FD)

3) My cash on hand

The person who rejected the application should be questioned as the rejection resulted in a "No further consideration" for my application. This in my opinion is a serious misuse of authority as they had not provide means of appealing / rectify the situation.

I will now proceed with the other Visa (Tourist Stream Class 600) with a fee of AUD 140 with VFSGlobal, hoping by providing a fuller detail on my background and show why I won't "discard" my properties and inheritance here just to go pluck fruits in Australia.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Nobody is special. The people assessing applications follow sensible guidelines.

There is a reason that Malaysian ETA applications are getting closer scrutiny. See my previous post.

I commend you on your ability to travel widely on a limited income.

14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Hi Luigi,

Thank you for commenting, and yes I've gone through your previous post and the rest of the thread.

I managed to save up a lot during 2017 as I could not travel due to a back problem. The previous job I had was a great one; I was greatly compensated due to achieving my sales target most of the time. It was because of passion (I love photography) and the temptation to start owning a business for myself that made me eventually leaving the company.

I consider myself a frequent traveller as I would usually travel to 2 countries at least every year.

However, back to the point, I understand that most of the illegal immigrants are probably Malaysians, but to reject my application like that and without providing grounds to appeal is like over the line.

Since there was "no further consideration" for my ETA application, and after consulting with VFSGlobal and a friend from the embassy, I am guessing the best I could apply is the Tourism Stream Class 600 which will cost me 7 times what the ETA would.

BTW Luigi, they've asked me to fill up a form 1419 and attach relevant documents before passing to VFSGlobal which they will submit to the Embassy. There is a section referring to "Sponsors" and I was hoping to include my parents to act as "anchors" to prove that I will be back before the visa expires.

My question is, if you have the insight, are my parents considered as "Sponsor"s? I've seen the definition listed in the Embassy website that they have to Australian.

If the answer is No, is there a way to include my parents to prove that I will back in time.

I would ask VFSGlobal but their operating hours are pretty short and they have since closed 4 hours ago. I would have to wait to call them on Monday but I've made an appointment to submit my Form 1419 by Monday 930am.

Once again, many many thanks for commenting. It frustrates the hell out of me because I had been to Australia for at least 4 times in my short life.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

I think that a sponsor must be an Australian resident. In this modern world, parents don't seem to "anchor" their adult children.

14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Thank you Luigi,

Guess I have to include more documents to back my financial background then.

From the previous threat, I’ve noticed many mentioned “ETA” being rejected at first but eventually got granted.

Any idea if their “2nd application” was indeed ETA or a class 600 Tourist Visa?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,206 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

There have been a few people who reported that their applications were finally approved. I think they were initially told that their applications required supporting documentation. They seem to have complied with instructions in their emails and their applications were subsequently approved.

But that doesn't sound like your situation.

14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

Yes exactly, I was requested a set of documents ie bank statements, my small startup financial statements etc

And was rejected after that.

I am really hoping that my Class 600 Visa will get approved, I just don’t see what other logical excuses can they throw at me except the fact that I am the boss of my mini startup and thus, the low salary. But it doesn’t reflect my actual total income, like I mentioned I have freelancing jobs and projects as well and they do contribute to my financial health.

I’ll proceed with the Form 1419 and attach the relevant documents, try to sweeten my way up to a Visa somehow.

But seriously I think they have to review and amend their system for screenings especially Malaysians. The way they do it now is not fair. I don’t mind for them to collect a security bond from my family members / impose a heavier consequences on them but they have to open up the term “Sponsor” to be non-Australians as well.

I would say currently this is a case of discrimination over Malaysians.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

I understand your frustration but life isn't always fair and sometimes others' actions muck it up for innocent parties.

You can call it discrimination if you wish but as Luigi has stated, there is a reason why Malaysians are being heavily reviewed and having visas declined.

You don't have to like it,but it's the right of any country to pick and choose who visits and who doesn't.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?

It’s unfortunate for you, but any “discrimination” may be against countries whose residents’ Visa overstays is high.

As has been noted in this & other threads, Malaysia is one of those countries. If your countrymen didn’t outstay their Visas so regularly, you may not be having your current difficulty. Just conjecture, of course.

Reply to: ETA Visa rejected. Any idea where to follow up the status?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted