We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

kuala lumpur...
2 posts
1 review
Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some good suggestions on a good drive route from Canberra to Melbourne, I manage to convince the boss (wife) for us to drive down after a wedding we need to attend in Canberra. We are not in a rush was thinking to break the travel to two days as we have 2 small children with us one is 6 and the other is 1 and a half. We would prob try to time the drive during their nap times so its easier on us.

With that info anyone care to help us out on where would be a good place to spend the night in an interesting town, and a more scenic route that is easy on us?

Plus points but not necessary - would be if its a coastal drive, fish n chips cause the son loves it, and any art or craft places which the wife is into.

6 replies to this topic
Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,203 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

When? I wouldn't take the coastal drive in only 2 days, can you extend it? Is the idea to leisurely reach Melbourne, sightsee around Melbourne, fly home from Melbourne? You'd be paying a one way rental fee I suppose? Have you thought about just flying down? And I'm assuming you'll have spent some some time around Canberra other than attending the wedding?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

Stay the night in Beechworth. Great historic town with one of the best fish and chip shops in Victoria.

The Ageing Frog is the shop name

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

The coastal route from Canberra to Melbourne is about 15 hours non-stop. Even via the inland route, it's about 8 hours. I know my kids at that age would have hated spending that much time in the car. Seriously consider adding an extra day, maybe 2, or flying.

I agree that Beechworth is worth a stop. Echuca is as well but it's further out of your way,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
812 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

Loki - its not quite 8 hours... I can do it in just over 8 from my house at Wilton... i reckon 6.5-7 hours from Canberra with a short stop or two...

But i 100% agree with avoiding the coastal route... it would be close to double to drive...

Oz
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

Hi,

With such a short time frame "The boss" will never let you forget this trip.

My advice would be to spend the two nights in/around Canberra and fly.

This sort of road trip needs more time and older children IMHO.

Cheers,

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne

>>> We are not in a rush was thinking to break the travel to two days <<<

2 days is a rush. If you can add more time consider stopping by Buchan Caves, and Fish Creek (for arts & crafts). By the way there are fish & chip shops everywhere, not just along the coast

Reply to: Suggestions on Drive and stay from Canberra to Melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted