We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Gold Coast

CSS
Pune, India
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Cairns to Gold Coast

Dear Friends,

We are family of 4, visiting Australia for 2 weeks....i am flying to in to Cairns on 8th November early morning...and flying out of Gold Coast on 15th November early morning.

intention is to enjoy natural beauty of Australia not much in adventure activities.

we intend to self drive Cairns to Gold Coast.

I have planned as follows...

7 - Check in hotel @ Palm cove -- visit Daintree Rain Forest

8 - Take Great Barier Reif Tour

9/10/11/12 - Need to travel from Cairns to Gold Coast....and plan to visit one island.

13/14 - Gold Coast

Thanks in advance.

Happy Travelling

Chirag Shah

28 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Do you have a question?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Pointless driving that distance over four days - you need two weeks to justify that drive.

Just fly.

Also, spend more time in the Cairns region - lots to see and do there.

Cheers.

CSS
Pune, India
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Hi Bokhara,

Need advise on what to plan on 9/10/11/12 November...which places to stay and which island to visit ?

sorry my post was not clear on what i m seeking !!

Thanks

CSS
Pune, India
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Thanks sweetbiscuit21 i agree with your view of flying but my passion is to drive so i want to drive 1700 km which is appx. 20 hrs...so i have kept drive time of 4/5 hrs a day. I enjoy driving more than flying.

Oz
Level Contributor
15,261 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Hi,

That's all you'll do drive.

When in FNQ rent a car and spend a few days exploring the Atherton Tablelands then fly to the Gold Coast.

Cheers,

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

I doubt if you can get to the Daintree after checking into your hotel in PC. What time do you arrive in the morning ? and are you coming off an international flight.

9 PC to Townsville. You wont have time to visit Magnetic

10 Townsville to Mackay. not much REALLY AT ALL BETWEEN here and Rocky which is a further 4-5 hour drive. So about 10 in total with stops in one day, and you bypass Whitsundays and see nothing.

11 mackay to agnes waters is anther 550 kms and that means about 7 hours in the car plus a few stops.

12 agnes to brisbane is about 8 hours plus in car with stops. You bypass Fraser island

so as you can see you will not get to gc in that amount of time if you only drive 5 hours a day. You are underestimating the trip and not including stops to get out and stretch and actually see anything at all.

What island are you planning on seeing?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

the 7th till the 15th is not 2 weeks... its 8 days...

its 20 hours direct driving... thats not getting off the main highway to visit towns along the way.... in australia most coastal towns or destinations could be 20-30 minutes off the main road... meaning you add an hour onto your overall trip for each place you want to see... island visits also involves boats / plane flights to get to, add even more time again...

Just giving you some extra info to plan your trip..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Not really any point on our making recommendations. You’ll be driving most of the day & able to see whatever is around you before/ during & after your drive.

Google maps gives options for inland / coastal routes.

This blog goes in the opposite direction over longer distance &time, but may be of interest to you.

https:/…australia-driving-the-east-coast

https:/…mind-boggling-australian-maps

Don’t forget you will need Visas. Use the official website. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,318 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

You say you have 2 weeks in Australia butbthe dates are fro just a week. Which is it? Do you have a week somewhere else before you arrive in Cairns?

You’d have a far more enjoyable time spending 3-4 days driving around Port Douglasas the others have pointed out then flying to Gold Coast and hiring another car there to enjoy the hinterland. You’d avoid hundreds of miles of unchanging views of sugar cane (you don’t have enough time to detourbto e joy anything) and a one way drop off fee with the car.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Cairns to Gold Coast

Chirag, I too love a good road trip, but that road trip has to allow time for me to stop and see interesting stuff, rather than just narrow highways, roadkill, endless hours of sugar cane and a lot of the backs of trucks and caravans that you can't overtake because of dangerous road conditions (and please don't attempt to drive like many people do in India. We have strict road rules here, and if you try to overtake dangerously people will not be anticipating it, and you will likely kill yourself and them.)

If you do this trip, you will have memories of nothing other than the road - in which case, don't waste your money on plane flights, just hire a car in in India and find a boring road to drive there.

Cheers.

Reply to: Cairns to Gold Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted