We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

1 post
Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

Hello everyone!

I'm a 20 year old guy from Denmark going to Australia for 1.5 months this September. My plan is to fly into Sydney and make my way north to Brisbane (from which I’ll fly to New Zealand), stopping here and there to enjoy the country, culture and whatever other adventures might reveal themselves.

I'll admit my budget is rather tight, so I was wondering whether hitchhiking from Sydney to Brisbane, or even half way, would be a viable option. I don’t mind roughing it up at all, in fact I rather enjoy doing things the difficult (aka “bum”) way for the experience.

However, coming from denmark -which is about the size of a pebble compared to Australia- I have no idea if hitchhiking is a go or a no-go.

Sooooo, basically my question is whether or not I should try for it, and ofcourse what things I should experience on the way (aside from everything)?

All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
1,056 Reviews
from US$ 159.30*
Great Barrier Reef Diving and...
705 Reviews
from US$ 119.50*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,668 Reviews
from US$ 121.70*
8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

Seriously bad idea to hitch hike. I doubt people will stop for you anyway.

Use the greyhound bus or look for a cheap air fare with a low cost carrier (Jetstar or Tiger)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,539 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

Almost no one is going to stop for a hitchhiker and I would be concerned about those who do.

https:/…Backpacker_murders

As above take the Greyhound Bus. You can hop on and off where you like (I think you have to pre-book each leg a few days in advance).

Make sure you hapead north of abrisbane to Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay (for Fraser Island)too.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
798 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

I was driving along the hume mwy yesterday around campbelltown at 10am.. there was a guy trying to hitchhike heading south and he had a sign saying "canberra" (which is about 2-3 hours away)... 7 hours later at 5pm he was in the same spot, still waiting... 7 hours of cars on a busy motorway and no-one stopped....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

No one hitch hikes anymore - ask over on backpacker forums on www.travellerspoint.com where to stop on Greyhound bus.

The highway is often well away from the coast so you need to plan your stops very carefully. Public transport outside Sydney is very limited.

Hiring a car will give you so much more choice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
143 reviews
5. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

If you are staying in a hostel then you can either ask around or check noticeboard for people heading to Brisbane and willing to share ride/costs. Or Greyhound HOHO bus. Tigerair is advertising Syd-Bris for under $60 one way but need to add extra for luggage.

11 posts
6. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

Hitch-hiking will be incredibly unreliable.

Sydney-Brisbane flight routes are decently priced these days. If you book early, you can get flights for as cheap as ~$60, sometimes under. Check for deals and use Jetstar Pricebeat as well.

Otherwise, you can try using a Greyhound bus - a lot of time, however.

There are also some train services between Sydney and Brisbane. These are pretty affordably priced but bear in mind the time taken.

Enjoy your trip!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

I think it’s actually illegal in Queensland too. No way would I pick someone up now days.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
992 posts
92 reviews
8. Re: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane

Most of the route now between Sydney to Brisbane is motorway, where being a pedestrian (let alone hitchhiking) is downright dangerous and probably illegal to boot.

Reply to: Getting from Sydney to Brisbane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted