We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Uluru in January

London, United...
5 posts
Visiting Uluru in January

I am planning to visit Uluru sometime in early January with a friend of mine, we are travelling around the East coast of Australia for over a month and we have decided to visit Uluru alroght it is a pain to get to, i have 2 main concerns the main one is i was thinking about doing the climb however it says the climb is closed in December, January and February because of the heat after 08:00, would it be possible to arrive at the site earlier to climb for example at 5/6am? I am still not certain that i would want to climb because of the fact that they believe it is sacred land. My second concern is transport, since i am 20 not a huge amount of car hire places will let me hire, would there be any places in the airport than would, i have no problem paying the extra fee for a bit more freedom, this will be the only place that i will hire a car and just would like to get as much information/advice on it as much as possible, Many regards, Aaron

2 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,991 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Uluru in January

The national park opens at 5:00 am in January. However, you need a way of getting there and it does not appear that any of the car rental companies at the Ayers Rock Airport (Hertz, Avis, Thrifty) will rent to you if you are under age 21. There is a HO/HO bus that begins running to Uluru around 4:30 am, so that might work.

See: http://uluruhoponhopoff.com.au/

London, United...
5 posts
2. Re: Visiting Uluru in January

Many thanks, Just what i needed :)

Reply to: Visiting Uluru in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted