We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern coast advice needed!

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Southern coast advice needed!

Hi everyone

My husband and I are going to Sri Lanka in January for three weeks for our honeymoon. Our first two weeks are sorted and we are left with 8 or 9 nights to explore the southern / southwestern coast. We were thinking of staying in two places to break it up. We'll be coming from Yala, heading back towards Colombo for our flight home and have chosen Mirissa as one stop. Where would everyone recommend as a second place? We want somewhere we can swim rather than surf and with a selection of restaurants without being overly touristy as Unawatuna seems to be. As our honeymoon we'd like to stay in quite a nice place but it doesn't need to be 5* or over the top. I've looked as so many suggestions online that I seem to be going round in circles! Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Southern coast advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 October 2017, 09:05

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,848 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern coast advice needed!

Bentota maybe. But enough restaurants to eat out ALWAYS means being touristy, sorry...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern coast advice needed!

Bentota is more suitable for you. If you looking for non-touristy beach town with lots of out door restaurants then will result almost zero. Check out Bentota beach for at least quite area with some spread-ed restaurants. More family oriented. 2 hrs to air port using expressway.

BRgds

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern coast advice needed!

Mirissa is just as touristy as unawatuna these days. If not more so and especially on peak season. Because it is a small beach it feels very crowded in a way unawatuna doesn't.

You might consider tangalle which has a good range of accommodation and swimming is possible in certain spots. You'll need to read hotel and beach reviews carefully to check which places are close to swimable sectipns of the beache.

Bentota is package holiday central. Lots of big hotels with amazing facilities and prices to match. The beach is always quite empty because there is nothing on it and the sea is usually quite rough. There are no places to eat and drink on the beach and it lacks atmosphere.

Tangalle and unawatuna would be my choices.

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern coast advice needed!

OP already select MIRISSA as first base if I understood correctly. And coming from Yala, move back towards air port. Looking for a non-touristy beach.

Going to Tangalle is backtracking & Unawatuna & Hikkaduwa are most over touristy beaches in south west. That is why I suggest Bentota but yes swimming will be a problem in open ocean at Bentota if the sea is rough.

BRgds

Reply to: Southern coast advice needed!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Province