We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildflower season?

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
124 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Wildflower season?

I know that each year is probably different, but does anyone know when might be the "best" time to see wildflowers? The last time I went was around mid-May, and it seemed like that was either too early or too late (I couldn't tell). I'm particularly interested in Poppies and (what I think were) golden slopes at Garrapata.

Any advice?

Ken

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildflower season?

Good question but hard to know this year with the crazy weather. Maybe call the Big Sur visitor's center or someone else who's down there? (maybe your hotel would know or know who to ask)

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
124 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildflower season?

I was in Monterey and the Big Sur area this past week when you posted your reply. In retrospect, it's a pretty impossible question to answer. There are so many different kinds of wildflowers.

What I saw were the yellow flowers (don't know their name) around Garrapata's Whale Peak were in bloom, as were the Pride of Madeira, iceplant, and the pink ground cover at Pacific Grove's coast. I didn't see any Poppies yet, so perhaps they bloom a bit later.

I'd guess that from at least mid-April through July there are wildflowers of one type or another blooming somewhere in the area.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildflower season?

We were in Big Sur recently (20/21 April) and the wildflowers were wonderful. Orange California poppies absolutely everywhere in profusion, also magnificent pink ice plants and a flower with large purple spikes - someone did tell me their name but I've forgotten. It was a beautiful time to be there.

4. Re: Wildflower season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 18:11