We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Hello everyone. We're flying out to San Francisco in less than two weeks time. We're spending nearly a week in the city and then driving up to Napa for a couple of days. We then have 4 unbooked nights running from Friday through to Monday night. We were thinking of driving down Highway one perhaps. I've been wondering about Cambria, or Carmel where we could go out on day trips.

My husband has been poorly lately and I'd like to find a restful place to stay for those final four nights of our holiday. It's late I know, hotels book up quickly for the weekends. But I've been told cancellations often become available.

We'd like to visit Hearst Castle and the Monterey Aquarium if possible, but I would still like to find either one or two places where he can relax before we fly home. I would rather forgo the trips if I can get him home feeling better than when he left.

We don't much care for the very large hotels that cater for business execs, we don't need whirlpool baths. We just need a friendly, clean, relaxing place to stay really.

Any ideas folks?

Thank you.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Hi lizzy. Given your husband's desire to relax and not overdo it, I think that stopping in the Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove area would be best. Since you'll be coming from Napa, the drive to Carmel will take you about three hours. It will be another hour to Big Sur, and lodging there is difficult: either extremely expensive and high-end or more rustic. Carmel and the surrounding area give you many more options and a greater choice of restaurants. Plus, that gives you the chance to easily visit the aquarium. I'm not an expert on the driving time from Carmel to Hearst Castle, but whether or not you can make this a day trip depends on your comfort with driving on a rather winding two-lane road through Big Sur. Sharon, a destination expert for that area, will know better than I. If it's too much for a day trip, then you can stay the night in Cambria, just south of the Castle and a lovely place to visit.

For lodging in the Carmel area, it would help to know your exact dates. As you said, things fill up fast. I'll be glad to check on some places if I can get your dates.

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

You are so kind, thank you. We're leaving Napa on Wednesday 28th. So we have no plans for the nights of Thursday 29th, Friday 30th September, Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd October. We fly back early evening Monday 3rd October. Hubby has a bad back, so after a week in San Francisco I'm seriously wondering whether we should just chill out for a few days. I tried contacting The Mission Ranch in Carmel but they were fully booked, also a place outside of Carmel whose name escapes me for the moment, but it looked as though it was in a lovely peaceful setting. We love nature but he's not up to long hikes, more strolls really. We prefer the more cultural side of things rather than bright lights and night clubs. But after many years without a holiday I really want to make sure he feels relaxed when he gets home. That's why we want to avoid the rowdier glitzier hotels. Gosh don't we sound boring. Believe me our lives are anything but, part of the reason we'd like to relax as well as see some of the wonderful sights your area has to offer.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

No, you don't sound boring in the least! Here are some places to look at:

Carmel: I ordinarily recommend places that are very close to downtown so that you can walk to restaurants, etc., so this one is a bit different. Sandpiper Inn:http://www.sandpiper-inn.com/. It's in a more residential area and makes for easy walks without a lot of traffic, and it's also a short walk to the beach. Also close to the beach: http://www.thecolonialterrace.com/

Closer to town: Carmel Fireplace Inn http://www.fireplaceinncarmel.com/

Monterey: The Hyatt monterey.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp…

Although this is not within walking distance of restaurants, etc., it is

not far from things. The reason I suggest it is that the grounds are

very nice and would be a good place to chill out and relax.

Pacific Grove: Gosby House Inn http://www.gosbyhouseinn.com/ A small B&B in downtown Pacific Grove, a quaint, quiet town. Two blocks to the ocean and an easy walk to restaurants.

The Asilomar area of Pacific Grove. These lodgings are close to the beach and set among the trees--very pretty and peaceful. You're likely to see deer.

Rosedale Inn http://www.rosedaleinn.com/

I checked a number of other places, but they were booked. I know that there are other places with rooms, but start with these and then let me know if I'm on the right track. There are plenty of clean, comfortable motels in Monterey, but they are on a busy street. I'm trying to find places that will give you a touch of nature and/or a good place to relax.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Hi Annie

Welcome back to the forums!

With your husband's worsening back condition, you might want to skip Hearst Castle. Lots of stairs and a long, tiring drive to get there. I suggest focusing on the Monterey/Carmel area with, perhaps a drive down to Big Sur and back.

I had a hard time finding availability, but did find rooms at Butterfly Grove Inn in Pacific Grove. This inn is located in a lovely wooded area near Asilomar Beach and would be a good place to relax.

Here's what I found for your dates:

https:/…

The above link will require you to plug in your dates

Good luck and have a wonderful visit in California

Edited: 13 September 2011, 04:56
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

PGdenizen (Hi!)

I also checked Gosby House and the only rooms available require walking up stairs, which may be problematic for the hubby. Plus the stairs up to the main house are steep front and back. I stayed there last week, and even I had a hard time with my bum knee :-(

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

I was just off to bed nearly one in the morning here ... when I caught the email. You are such a fantastic group of people, thank you. I'll check all of these out properly in the morning, but it's a great start. I may have given you the wrong impression. Hubby can do things like walk upstairs. He damaged his back two days before we were due to to fly out last year. Hence our second attempt at the holiday. He can go for long periods when things are ok, but doesn't want to flog around so much that has problems and pain. He's not looking forward to the long flight I can tell you. I think what we're after is a mix of marching around and doing the touristy things, but with periods of relaxation as well, so that we don't arrive back in the UK feeling more tired than when we left. We do have a Muir Woods walk booked for our last morning in San Francisco, just as well we're going to Napa after that :-) I have a tip for all fellow knee problem sufferers. Try a knee strap. I have a dodgy knee and a friend told me about knee straps. Her son damaged his knee skateboarding. I bought one and test it out with five hours walking around a local Flea Market. It was excellent and I had no knee pain at all. It's simply a strap that you wear under your knee. You pull it tight enough to fit comfortably and it supports the knee. Mine is called a Neo G I believe but there are lots of different types out there. But so far it seems to have helped no end. Thanks again, I'll be back at the computer bright and early in the morning.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Hi Annie

Good to know your hubby can do stairs. In that case, my recommendation would be the Jack's Peak room at the Gosby House Inn, if you can afford it. It's located outside the main house, has it's own entrance and feels like you're sitting in a tree house. It also has a wonderful large deck overlooking the roof lines of Pacific Grove and out toward Monterey Bay. This is one of my favorite rooms to stay in. It also has a fireplace (lovely on those chilly nights or mornings), a TV, mini fridge and a jacuzzi tub (which I have never used).

Afternoon goodies (veggies/dip, cheese/crackers, wine, tea, etc.) are served between 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm and breakfast is served buffet style from 8:00 am to 10:00 am. And it's all included in the price of your room. Downtown Pacific Grove is right outside the front door of the Gosby House Inn and makes for a pleasant walking environment. Lots of great places for dinner close by, as well.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 05:34
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Another thing you could do to keep within your budget is stay at Gosby two nights and Butterfly Grove Inn two nights. Given the area is heavily booked for your dates, you need to make a decision quickly before those options disappear.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Annie, thanks for the knee strap info. What a group we are! I had knee surgery in May and I'm still having trouble with it. Thanks for the info on Gosby rooms, Kibblesmom (you changed you name back?). Good luck with your search, Annie. If none of these places works for you, let us know. Kibblesmom and I like a challenge!!

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relaxing and reasonably priced place to stay

Hi, just my 2 cents but if I was you I'd plan to spend a night or two in Cambria. There are several little inns there and depending what days you intend staying you will find something inexpensive if it's not the weekend. The Cambria Pines Inn is a lovely place to stay but it's a little pricey. If you not too choosy about where to stay you can stay in San Simeon where you can definitely get a room and it will be cheaper than Cambria and it's minutes from Hearst Castle and Cambria with no traffic.