We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

My husband and I will be staying at Pebble Beach for two nights and will have two nights open to stay/play somewhere before heading south to Paso Robles for another four days. Was thinking of staying in Big Sur for two nights, but would welcome suggestions before I book anything. We'll be there the first week in October. Cannot afford to spend a fortune since Pebble Beach is costing me an arm and a leg!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

Unfortunately, Big Sur will cost two arms and two legs unless you don't mind something on the rustic side (not a shack! clean, comfortable enough, but not even remotely upscale). The two nicest places in Big Sur are Ventana Inn ($400 and up) and Post Ranch Inn ($500 a night and up). I would suggest that you either spend one night in Big Sur and one in Cambria or that you leave the Monterey area early enough to spend a large part of your day exploring Big Sur (www.bigsurcalifornia.org) and then travel on to spend two nights in Cambria. In Big Sur, there are Big Sur Lodge, Deetjen's or Big Sur River Inn. There are a number of very nice inns and B&Bs on Moonstone Beach, and Cambria is a lovely, artsy town. October is usually a beautiful time of year here, so the coast should be especially wonderful then.

Edited: 30 June 2010, 22:07
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

Just realized that my post was confusing. Moonstone Beach is in Cambria, not Big Sur. Sorry.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

Thank you!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

If it were me, I would spend another night somewhere on the Monterey Peninsula before driving down the coast. There's so much to see/do on the Monterey Peninsula that an extra night would make it worth it.

Cambria is a lovely coastal town, but it is only 25 minutes from Paso Robles.... can't really see you staying there for 2 nights with Paso being so close and all.

That's just my two cents.

Edited: 01 July 2010, 02:26
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

Thanks! Love your cat :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

"...Thanks! Love your cat :)..."

You're welcome & Thanks... me, too. :-)

7. Re: Pebble Beach/Big Sur/Paso Robles adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 11:47