We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Big Sur

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Big Sur

Earlier parts of this trip report are in LA and Ventura... we got a bit of a late start out of Ventura and were on our way to Big Sur. Mapquest put the drive at about 4 hours... actual time was more like 6. There was lots of fog this day so we didn't get all the views we would have hoped.

We followed Scooterboss's go list to plan our activities (it is a great list!)

First stop was Julia Barnes state park and the walk to the waterfall. Not lots of water in August but glad we stopped.

Next stop was a vista point to see the Elephant Seals. These aptly named animals were amusing to watch!

I had hoped to get to the beach this day but between the fog and drive we decided to head straight to the hotel. We were in a cabin (two sides - one bed on each side) at Glen Oaks Big Sur. LOVED this place. I will put in a review but highlights include the fire ring, the decor and best of all the heated bathrooms floor. (All of CA was very chilly to me.)

Even with the fog, we decided to have dinner at Neptehne. I had missed it on our trip 20 years ago -didn't want to wait another 20 years. Such a beautiful building and great food...

The next morning we went to a state park so husband could get a run in (the kids and I hiked) and then made a stop at Pfeiffer Beach. What a windy road to get here - but the payoff is worth it. I was entranced by the water crashing through the rocks. About 45 min here and then we needed to get on the road. We learned our lesson about mapquest so allowed extra time to get to our next stop - Santa Cruz and the redwood forest.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Big Sur

Hi keymom

If you ever get the chance to visit the California coast in the spring or fall months, you will be treated to magnificent mostly fog free views.

Spring months offer greener hills/mountains, while fall tends to have crisp, clear forever views with golden brown hills/mountains.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Big Sur

Another trip to Big Sur is definitely in my future (and sooner than the 20 year gap between my current 2 visits!) We really felt like we could have spent several days (a lifetime?) enjoying this area - - so I'll try it again in another season.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Big Sur

I'm glad my list was useful, but I'm sorry I couldn't do anything about the fog. Like Kibblesmom said, summer can be very foggy, and August is usually the worst month for it. We tend to go in early December now - the temperatures are still in the 60s by day, can go above 70, and the air is extremely clear.

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Big Sur

I'm glad you enjoyed Nepenthe, aren't the views stunning? We really enjoyed our time in the Big Sur area this past December and had gorgeous weather. :)

5. Re: Trip Report - Big Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 11:53