We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

Hi, my family are visiting from the UK next summer and will be driving from LA to SF in 3 days / 2 nights. Being the organised type, I have booked the first night accommodation at Cambria and the second at Monterey. I am now aware of the road closures on Big Sur (I wasn't when I booked the accommodation), so was just after a bit of advice from those in the know that I have booked our stops in the right place to still make the best of this beautiful drive. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,493 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

This entire forum has similar questions as do the California forum top questions. Do read a few

Well is there a reason for Cambria ? Hearst castle ?

If not perhaps a night in Pismo beach and then 2 in Monterey would be better

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,595 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

If you can get an extra night in Monterey, that will give them more time to explore the accessible portion of northern Big Sur, which is definitely worth it. Otherwise, they will either split the trip into three equal-ish chunks and rush Big Sur, or spend two nights in Monterey and rush everything else.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

I would hope that Highway 1 (PCH is in SoCal) is open through Big Sur by next summer. Nevertheless, 1 night in Cambria and 2 nights in Monterey would be good since there is alot to see in Big Sur and Monterey.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,847 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

You are fine with Cambria and Moniterey.

If the road is out for some reason there is a very easy detour to take 46 - 101 to exit road for Monterey.

It takes about the same amount of time.

Cambria is a small town and rather awkward town at that. The lodging is by the ocean and backs up to highway 1. It is on a street. There is San Simeon State Park there. If you plan to do Hearst Castle it works.

The town itself is a drive from this area where the cafes are. Family friendly places include Linns and Mainstreet Grill (barbecue).

If you were imagining nice views from the swimming pool area and from your room, then choose Pismo Beach instead.

If the road situatino remains the same (probably not as they are working on it), this is an article on how still to see Big Sur.

visitcalifornia.com/attraction/how-you-can-v…

(note This area is prone to these types of issues so check again before your trip on Highway 1 status - i.e. a month or so in advance.

Right now, you can stay with Cambria and Monterey, but did want to point out these issues,.

Do be sure to drive 5 miles north of Hears Castle at a minimum to see elephant seal rookery.

For things to do in Monterey County see

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g580…

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

Hwy 1 at the Mud Creek Slide in southern Big Sur won't reopen until fall of 2018 (Caltrans says "late summer"). Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge will be rebuilt by the time of your trip so there will be a lot of Big Sur (60+ miles each way) accessible from the north which is why a 2 night stay in Monterey is being recommended.

Edited: 17 September 2017, 20:47
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip

Thanks for all your advice. Its hard to make sense of it from so far away!

Reply to: Have I booked the right accommodation for PCH trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted