We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur from Carmel

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Big Sur from Carmel

I apologize if this question has been asked already. We will be staying in Carmel and have thought about driving down to Big Sur one day...at least as far as we can go with the landslide mess. My questions is, how much of the park is accessible from the North? Is it worth taking the trip? If so, how long should we plan on taking to see Big Sur?

Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur from Carmel

Currently, only 26 miles of Big Sur is accessible by car from Carmel.

Big Sur is an area with several state parks you can visit. Point Lobos is a must, but there's also Garrapata, Andrew Molera at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

From Pfeiffer Big Sur SO, you can hike across Pfeiffer Canyon to access Nepenthe via shuttle or McWay Falls via electric bike rental.

Edited: 10 September 2017, 06:14
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Sur from Carmel

S/B Andrew Molera AND Pfeiffer Big Sur

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Sur from Carmel

Worth it? Yes! In my opinion, one of the most special places on earth. How much time depends on where you want to stop and if you would like to do some hiking.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Sur from Carmel

I'm assuming you're traveling soon? Here's my report from June of the 26 miles that are currently driveable https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g24032… Since then, Andrew Molera has also reopened https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g24032…

It can be a half to full day depending on how many stops you make and whether you hike. If you decide to hike through Pfeiffer Big Sur to the other side of the collapsed bridge and rent electric bikes to ride to McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns (10 miles each way), I'd reserve the bikes in advance.

Reply to: Big Sur from Carmel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted