We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

We will have one day and night in Carmel/Big Sur at the end of September, which I know isn't much time. We are planning on doing the recent it opened half-mile hike in pfieffer state park (I think that's where it is) to a shuttle that goes to Nepenthe. I have also heard people say Rocky Point has a restaurant with great views. Is one better than the other? Both worth checking out, like one for lunch one for drink? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

No reason why you can't do both. I actually prefer the view from Rocky Point but you can see both for yourself and decide :)

Edited: 24 August 2017, 02:27
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,734 posts
5,812 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

Both have good views.

Rocky Point patio area has good view of the famous bridge in Big Sur - Bixby Bridge.

Nepenthe is also a very nice place for views.

So I agree - both are good (flip a coin) or go to both.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

It's actually Rocky Creek Bridge that's visible from Rocky Point. Bixby is the next bridge south.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
623 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

If you could only do one, I would say Nepenthe for lunch. You really need to be there in the daytime for the views. But if you can do both, you could have lunch at Nepenthe, and then go to Rocky Point for dinner or dessert/drinks at night. Unless something has changed, they light up the ocean with big outdoor lighting at night, and that makes for a very pretty view.

Also, you may not need to hike/shuttle to Nepenthe. The bridge is supposed to open up at some point in September, so you might be able to drive all the way there from Carmel.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

The latest news from Caltrans is that it's looking more like October for Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge to reopen (didn't want to get the OP's hopes up too much).

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
623 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

Oh bummer. OK thanks, Patty!

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
33 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe

Rocky Pointe has amazing food and views. They have outdoor seating and patio areas with lounge chairs and blankets for you to enjoy the evening or afternoon. I would say Rocky Point

Reply to: Rocky Point vs. Nepenthe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted