We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Details are a bit light but there will be shuttle service starting July 1st where visitors can park at Andrew Molera, shuttle to Pfeiffer Big Sur where they can hike the trail to the other side of the bridge and pick up another shuttle on the other side (I don't know whether that means Andrew Molera will also open to hiking at the same time or just parking) ksbw.com/article/…10004160

48 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,466 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

whatever can be done to help the economy is a good thing. If that bridge is done by Oct, as they say -- that is going to be wonderful news. Thanks Patty

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Ha, I saw this on the news at breakfast too. This is a big change because, up to this point, the trail through Pfeiffer Canyon has only been open to residents and visitors by invitation. But it's a good idea to bring this in on the July 4th weekend. One of my concerns was that the tourists would still flood down there and crowd the few areas that were open. At least this will disperse them a little farther south and potentially create a more peaceful experience for those willing to deal with the hike and shuttle. It's probably a good time to go down there.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

I decided to take a last minute drive down this morning and it was very peaceful. I asked at Pfeiffer about Andrew Molera trails but they didn't know anything. Will post a report with pics later. Coming back there were cars parked for a mile along the highway in either direction from Point Lobos.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Photos of Pfeiffer Canyon Trail …santacruzsentinel.com/2017/…1

I think the trail is around half a mile long with a 400 ft elevation change.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,466 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

this is cool. Thanks -- I think we may want to do this soon but not on a weekend.

As far as point lobos goes, weekends are really crazy and even on a weekday when we went a few weeks ago the parking lots inside were pretty full.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

More shuttle information https:/…

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Maps for reference:

https:/…big-sur-coast-map-north.pdf

https:/…big-sur-coast-map-central4.pdf

It looks like campers and day users at Pfeiffer Big Sur will also have access to the trail and there's a possibility of the southern shuttle running to McWay Falls in August.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Article about park opening and shuttle service:

sanluisobispo.com/news/…article158248829.html

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

Pfeiffer Big Sur has actually been open since May 19th. I visited and posted a report back on June 10th https:/…83986244

I was hoping the article would be about Andrew Molera reopening for hiking as I haven't figured out if anything will be open other than the parking lot starting July 1st.

Edited: 27 June 2017, 01:44
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail

For anyone hiking the trail this Saturday, there will be an ice cream social on the other side :)

montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/food_blog/qui…

"Adventurous souls should earmark a special community ice cream social anchored by Ben Spungin and featuring sundaes, sorbets, cookies and kombucha floats at 3 Acres, next to the Big Sur Post Office, noon-4:00pm Saturday, July 1, to fundraise for the Big Sur relief fund."

Reply to: Big Sur shuttle and public access to Pfeiffer Canyon Trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted