We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

Can someone give me a comparison between Now Jade and Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal or Iberostar Del Mar/Beach? Comparison in resort size, pools, beach, buffets, service.

Thank you!

Green Oaks, Illinois
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

We have not been to Iberostar Del Mar/Beach, but we have been to the other two resorts (Jade and Tucan).

Overall, we thought Now Jade was a better resort. We liked the food and drink much better (Tucan mixed drinks were poor). The buffets were very good at Jade and just average at Tucan. Also the buffets at Tucan are not air conditioned.

The rooms are also alot nicer at Jade -so much bigger and newer. And only one building has an oceanview at Tucan, which is a big upgrade cost.

Tucan is smaller - more compact.

Both resorts have very good service - very friendly.

The jungle - with the animals- to us was the special factor at Tucan. Plus, I think the beach is nicer there.

We wrote detailed reviews on both these resorts. Hope this helps!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

Thanks Owlman7. Great info. Do you know if Now Jade has elevators? Also, you mentioned in your review that you contacted Olivia R. with room requests - can I get her contact email info. from you?

Thanks

Green Oaks, Illinois
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

Now Jade definitely has elevators.

Olivia's e-mail address (when we went ) was :

olivia rodriguez (sales10.nojrc@nowresorts.com)

I remember her giving us a direct e-mail address to the reservations dept., but I cannot find that - I am sure she would give that to you. She was always helpful with answering questions. She is also on the Now Jade Facebook page.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

Thanks again, Owlman!

Chicago
Level Contributor
644 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

I have stayed at all three. If you are going with adults Now Jade. Iberostar DelMar/Lindo is good with kids. There is a wave pool and lazy river. Also the beach is nicer than Now Jade. Tucan limits the number of times you can eat in the alaCarte restaurants. I don't like that! Now jade needs no reservations which is nice. The rooms are very nice. Much nicer than the other two. But it is modern and not typical Mexico decor.

I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 01:47
Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

TravelJenChic...... Can I ask why Now Jade is more for Adults and not kids? My husband and I will be traveling with our kids, 21, 19 and a 16 yr. old who uses a wheelchair and is happy just playing in the pool/beach all day. Of these three resorts, which has the biggest, nicest pool - Not counting the Lindo section, as we wouldn't be able to use this section? Also, do they all have a zero depth entry or a shallow kids pool (we need this for our 16yr. old)?

Would love to go back to Lindo, but since there are 5 of us going this time the Lindo is out of our budget (especially since prices are sooo high this year). - Beach/Del Mar is an option, but kind of concerned that we'd be wanting to use the facilities in the Lindo right next door (it's awesome there) and can not.

Tucan seems nice, that's an option, too. I think the monkeys and all of the other wildlife would be wonderful to see. I've read that the pool here might be on the smaller side?

Which has the nicest beach, calmest water with easy entry into the water?

West Mifflin...
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

I have stayed at Tucan, Del Mar and Lindo. In my opinion the Del Mar pool is the best of all 3. 3 swim ups one side has a zero entry and it's even bigger than the Lindo pool. The only thing you'd be missing pool wise is the lazy river and wave pool. Which with your kids ages I can't see that being a really big deal. Honestly I never understood the need for a wave pool at a beach resort! And the lazy river is fun once or twice.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

I think Now Jade is more remote & quiet. Best food, drinks, rooms. Average beach. Long drive just to the highway. Owned by Apple Vacations parent company. It is smaller than the Iberostar Paraiso mega resort complex. Also, I remember lots of up & down. Ramps were available, I believe elevators most places, too. But shortcuts (main pool to north room buildings) was on the beach or a long walk around, up & down. 15 minutes from airport.

Iberostar Paraiso complex will offer most for your teens to do onsite. BUT it's huge. Often long distances between room, beach, and lobby. Might be an issue. We stayed in Del Mar. Rooms were fine. Make sure you get a 1st floor room. Good food at buffets & ala cartes. Golf course right on property is very nice. Not many elevation changes. Nice beach, huge free-form pool with many peaceful or loud areas, whatever your choice. 20 minutes from airport, half way from Cancun to Playa del Carmen.

Iberostar Tucan is in Playacar gated community south of Playa del Carmen. Long white sandy beach, DEEP pools (avg 4 1/2 - 5 feet most places). My 7 yr old could not safely touch the bottom. Yes there are some shallower areas. Nice typical clean rooms. Decent food. Closest to Playa del Carmen for teens to safely visit even without you, maybe a 15 minute walk to town. Fun jungle animals including the monkeys in the trees! 50 minutes from airport.

That's my opinion & I'm sticking to it,

SeaBass

Texas
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

SeaBass......good to know about the DEEP pool @ Tucan - I had a similar issue with the main pool @ Grand Pal. Kantenah - once you get away from the edges of the pool the depth was about 5' - I'm 5'4" and couldn't walk around in the pool comfortably - had to be on my tip toes or use a raft. That was pretty much the only thing I didn't like about the Palladium Kantenah. That being said, the Tucan might be an issue for me, but my girls and husband are taller so prob. not an issue for them.

You mentioned lots of ups & downs @ Now Jade....as in stairs? Would you consider it very difficult to get around the resort in a wheelchair? We don't mind walking (it's actually a good thing after all of the eating that's done, lol). Just don't want to have to maneuver the wheelchair up & down a stair or two around every corner.

Thanks.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comparison of Now Jade vs. Iberostar Tucan or IB Del Mar?

I'm sure there were ramps available, but I recall the main lobby & restaurants were up a few stairs from the walkways, and the pool area had a step up here & a step or two down there. Plus bridges over the pool and some very narrow passes between chairs & walls. Some of the rooms even had steps up from sofa area to sleeping area. Scroll through the trip report photographs and you may get a sense of what I'm describing.

It is the smallest resort of the three you mention, good food & rooms, and closest to the airport, so that may make other things less problematic.

All the best,

SeaBass