We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap

I am trying to decide between taking the faster bus option from Battambang to Siem Reap vs the slower and more expensive boat. The reason I am interested in the water transport is to be on Tonle Sap lake and see the floating houses. From my research, the boat seems very slow and uncomfortable though. Has anyone done this trip recently and is there a comfortable option?

4 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap

Sorry to bump this but has anyone been on this boat recently?

Siem Reap, Cambodia
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap

it depends on what you are looking for and also what type of experience you want,the bus is fine,cheap and easy to arrange,its a way of getting from one point to another.

the boats however are slow and less comfortable,they use the long tail types of boats that are suitable for the lake and rivers,i done this trip via the boats and also the buses,its the trip via the river i will remember forever ,not for the mode of transport but for the awesome sights on the Sangkor river,but to get the most out of the trip you need to go with the flow,its a public boat and also services the locals,who for the large part have no road access so the boat is also taking some supplies and locals on route,dropping off and picking up along the way,i believe there are 5 or 7 different companies doing this trip however they take it in turns,so the exact boat you will go on will vary do not expect much in the way of comfort but expect incredible views of floating villages and daily life on the river.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap

Thanks. I definitely want the more scenic and local experience, and if I have to endure some discomfort I don't mind. How long do you think the trip will take at the end of november? Is it scenic most of the way or just parts? And does taking this trip do away with a need to see the floating forest and houses from siem reap?

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap

This trip for us was a once in a lifetime experience, that’ll do me, once was enough.

Scenic and local is exactly what you’ll see on your way down the Sangkor River. From the fish traps to the hemp harvest, floating villages with local passengers being picked up or goods being dropped off mid-stream (generally into a smaller boat)

The halfway lunch break, the mouth of the river and the long journey across the Tonle Sap before entering the Siem Reap River. It’s here that the local drink venders will surf the wake of the boat in a long tail and have their assistant climb aboard to sell as many drinks as possible before the boat docks (sitting on the roof is cool, unless it’s hot) (avoid seats at the front of the boat, this is where the luggage is piled up)

“does taking this trip do away with a need to see the floating forest”

The closest ‘’floating forest” worth seeing would be Kampong Phluk, but this village is more about its houses that are perched 6 meters or higher in the air. Whether that portion of the lake there is flooded or not, would depend on the time of year you visit.

Have fun

Reply to: Boat from Battambang to Siem Reap
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Battambang Province