We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

I haven’t been to Vilamoura for 3years, the last time I was there it was awful in the evenings with the bars being full of prostitutes and marina having drug dealers coming up to you all the time.

Someone told me that it has cleaned up and the prostitutes and drug dealers have Been moved out. does anyone know if this is the case?

11 replies to this topic
Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

If this is correct Problem is where have they been moved onto? !! I have been going to Vilamoura since the 90’s. Never had a drug dealer approach me but yes unfortunately certain bars there you could get offered more than a drink ! Just avoid them .

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

We were there last week, 2 adults & a baby - getting cash out at the ATM by ONeils.

A man pulled up in a car with his young son (10?) and asked my husband if he would like to buy some ‘smoke’ or ‘sniff’.

Despite this it is a beautiful place & I am sure that it’s not overrun with this! It’s certainly no Tenerife or Benidorm!

Farnham Common...
Level Contributor
101 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

Happens in other places too in the Algarve - often gypsies & mostly the stuff they are selling is not real drugs hence why they are not arrested but if you say go away they will. They tend to ask everyone on the off chance but seems to be all over European beach resorts esp in peak season.

Poynton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

We are there at the moment and my husband has been approached twice, once tonight and on Saturday night by the same guy. I was walking behind and I don’t think he thought we were together. The first time I asked him what he was doing and he apologised but this time he just glared at me.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

Been going to the resort for 17 years and never been approached by either of the above mentioned

Was there in September and Back in January

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,147 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

As said, the so called 'drug dealers' are selling nothing of the sort, so they are ignored by the authorities.

But show me a town in Europe which doesn't have some kind of low level anti social behaviour.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

Like Steve B we have been going for a long time and never been approached by dealers , what you will find is a few young blokes who work with the restaurants in the squares behind the marina , they will try to tempt you to eat there , they are always polite and worth listening to . Its a great area to eat. / drink .

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

They are there but not parading around the streets. I suppose as mentioned anything is available anywhere

Poynton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

We saw the young lads trying to get people into the restaurants but the bloke that approached my husband muttered something to him and when he asked what he said he asked him if he wanted “drugs”. It was the same guy who approached him 2 nights earlier. We too have been going to Vilamoura for years but have never been approached by a drug dealer before!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?

Just returned from here no problems at all for me,ladies of the night in and around the hotel Olympus but only late on in the evening.plenty of other bars restaraunts around the marina to enjoy your evening and avoid them.

Reply to: Has Vilamoura cleaned itself up?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura
Recent Conversations