We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

We'll be staying at the Hotel Casmona in Camogli for 3 days in September, and, as we are traveling light, we will need to do laundry. Is there anything like a laundromat there? Or would we have better luck in Manarola (Cinque Terre)?

We are also very interested in doing a lot of walking in the area, such as the hikes to Punta Chiappa and San Fruttuoso, and from Santa Margherita to Portofino. What kind of shoes would be best for this?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,985 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

Can't help with the laundry.

For shoes, the path from San Rocco to Punta Chiappa is, I think, mostly paved and is certainly well-used - though it goes down many steps and about 600 ft.

The remaining paths you are considering are graded and looked after but they are not artificially surfaced and they are much less used. They will include some parts with loose stone surfaces, others with tree roots, and there are some very steep sections. Remember too it that it might rain in September, which could result in some sections being slippery.

Wear what you feel comfortable with for those conditions. In my opinion full hiking boots are not necessary, but others might disagree.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

Would tennis shoes be ok, for the trails as well as to go to restaurants for lunch?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,985 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

"tennis shoes" - personally, I can't think of anything worse except thongs, and they'd be particularly bad if wet. But if you can walk along rough trails and up seriously steep hills in tennis shoes, I suppose it may be alright for you.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

From personal experience, would recommend low hiking shoes at a minimum (although personally I prefer light hiking boots for ankle support). Main problem is, tennis shoes' soles are too soft for rugged terrain. You risk being in pain after an hour's walk.

As for laundromats, the yellow pages (www.paginegialle.it) lists 3 laundries in the nearby town of Recco (5 minutes by bus). I seriously doubt you can find any laundries in Manarola which is just a small village (although the city of La Spezia is only 10 minutes away by train).

United States
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

Vernazza and Riomaggiore both have self-serve laundries.

TAB

6. Re: Where to do laundry; What kind of shoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 18:47