We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

My family (wife and 13 year-old daughter) are looking for a place to spend several days along the Italian Riviera after spending a week in Switzerland in June. I was originally considering FInale Ligure (which I visited by myself as a young man 25 years ago) or Alassio, but my daughter's Italian art teacher has a good friend from Genoa and said she would ask her opinion for me. Her answer was that she really liked Camogli and it would be less touristy (which would be nice). My only concern after reading about it is that we might not have enough things to do. I don't know. Last summer we spent 4 days in Monterosso and definitely could have spent more time there -- we were never bored. We like simple pleasures: swimming, hiking, eating out at cafes and restaurants - we don't need amazing entertainment!

Anyway, does anyone have an opinion about this? Or any other towns we might consider? We'll be flying back to the States from Torino, so it might be slightly more convenient to be on the western end of the Ligurian coast, but I'm not sure it would make that great a difference. I just thought I should mention it.

Also, would you recommend staying in an apartment versus a hotel in Camogli? We did an apartment in Monterosso and liked it a lot, but there always seems to be a bit of a gamble in an apartment rental vs. a well-known hotel. But since there are 3 of us, I think we could definitely save money by doing an apartment, since otherwise we might be required to book a junior suite or the like in a hotel (which has usually been the case and can get quite expensive).

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

We spent a week in Camogli in October last year, and really enjoyed it. It's a nice old town, with an old castle and plenty of bars and restaurants, but it's not really touristy. We went for boat trips and walks in the nearby Portofino peninsula. One day we went by train to Genoa, another day we took the train to Cinque Terre and walked the coast path from Monterosso to Corniglia. Being on the coastal rail line makes it an ideal centre for exploring the Riviera. We stayed in an apartment and that worked well. Recommended.

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

Thank you so much! It makes me feel much better about potentially picking it over a sort of known area (Finale). And I forget how close everything is around there - lots of potential day trips by boat, train, bus, or car. I think we'll go ahead and start looking at apartments. Do you have any particular recommendations about that? Places you would recommend or places to avoid?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

Can't help with apartments, I'm afraid. The place we stayed was tiny, and only suitable for a couple!

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

OK, thank you anyway!

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

I agree Camogli will be a great choice with lots of day trip options and a pleasant environment in itself.

We stayed up above Camogli in a hamlet known as San Rocco. It may not suit your needs because of transport (you park at one end of town and walk in, but there is a bus to Camogli or to Santa Margarita Ligure), but I am always happy to recommend it for the stunning sea views and access to Portofino park, just steps away! There are restaurants up there and a little store. http://rb.sicamsas.it/

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

Thank you for the tip!

7. Re: Good place for a 4-5 day family vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2018, 22:48