We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Julian or Melleha

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
St Julian or Melleha

After reading some posts can't make up mind where to call our base for out time in Malta. Can you pls help us? My indecision is we want to be near one of the expansive sandy beaches which I understand are on the north side of the island and remote vs St Julian area which is good for nightlife but not so much for good swimming and just hanging out on the beach. The pics I've seen of the bay in St. Julian do not seem that expansive.

Some thoughts.... would it make sense if we're staying in Malta one week to do 2 days in Melleha and spend the remaining dys in St. Julian? We're also want to check out Comino and Gozo but I think those are day trips.

btw - we're thinking of going in mid June

Thanks!

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Julian or Melleha

Nyctraveler

I do not think you could have chosen two more opposite areas of Malta.

As you are looking to go mid June it should be quieter than July or August.

There is a small manmade sandy beach at St George’s Bay which is near St Julian’s which hopefully will not be too busy in June.

It all depends on your preference and hotel, if you want a good sandy beach more than the night life then I would suggest either Mellieha Bay or Golden Bay. If your preference is night life and you have chosen a good quality hotel with a pool then base yourselves at St Julian’s and go by bus to Mellieha Bay or Golden Bay.

Suggest you look at hiring a car if you base yourselves at either Mellieha Bay or Golden Bay as the buses will have stopped by the time you leave St Julian’s and taxis are expensive to say the least. Also a car will make it easier to go and explore Gozo.

Have a great holiday

Macl1uk

Taunton
Level Contributor
253 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Julian or Melleha

Dear nyctraveller

If you are looking for beaches on Malta then in reality you will be quite dissapointed almost wherever you go. Malta is a brilliant place to visit but the beaches are really not up to much in comparison with many "beach" places.

Base yourself in St Julians - you will have a much better choice of hotels and places to eat. You will also find it easier to get around the island from here. Malta is weird in that it is a really tiny island but whether travelling by bus or car it takes absolutely ages to get anywhere!!!!

If finance is not too much of an issue then stay at the Hilton. You can sunbathe by the pool but still hear the sea breaking against the rocks (in my opinion the very best solution). The service at the Hilton is also outstandingly good.

Another option, depending on your length of stay would be to have a few days on Gozo. Gozo has some decent beaches and is quieter than Malta and easier to get around.

Whatever you do you will have a brilliant time. Malta is ace.

If you need any other info then please feel free to ask.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Julian or Melleha

Have a look at the Cavalieri Hotel, it is right on the waters edge in Spinola Bay St Julians, but there are lots of other good hotels around here - in Malta locals and tourists dont always head to the sandy beaches of the north, they use the smooth honey coloured rocks to sunbathe and swim from. From here It would only take about 30 mins to get to the sandy beach at Mellieha. As long as the accommodation meets your needs if you get out and about I am sure you will have a fabulous holiday

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Julian or Melleha

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll keep it in mind. I guess I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. Some how jumping off a rock seems dangerous. Also, all I've heard about St. Julien is that it can be noisy and very commerical. As its obvious from my sign on name, I live in a big city, it would be nice to get away from all that. One of the places we want to go is to Gozo as this is where one of boyfriends parents are from. Would Gozo would be a good base?

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Julian or Melleha

I think you should divide your time (is it one week? not enough imo) half in Gozo - to see where the inlaws were from and no doubt may still have some unknown relatives. The other half in St Julians in the bigger hotels that have a pool and still by the beach. Im not a swimmer but sunbathing on the mostly smooth rocks around Sliema was great while the family swam in the ocean ps you are not having to jump off cliffs or anything like that, some places actually have a steps into the water. I bought a cheap pair of thongs (flipflops) to make walking across the rocks easier as I wanted to walk further along the coast. IMO I wouldnt leave booking accomm. much longer for either places.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Julian or Melleha

also as you only have a short stay I wouldnt stay any further out than St Julians in Malta as busses further out can be time consuming going backwards & forwards to Valletta & other places. The area you dont want to be in is Paceville (nightclubs) but this is a very small area and if you google using a sattelite map you can see how close whatever hotel you may choose is from it. Enjoy Malta and Gozo.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Julian or Melleha

The beach at Melleha is superb but crowded, If you want to see the historic bits of Malta such as Mdina and Clapham Junction you need to travel around the island --- either by bus or car.

Car hire is fairly cheap and driving in Malta is fairly stress free, although unlike the USA they drive on the left.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Julian or Melleha

We have booked the Cavalieri for a week in June. We've been to Sliema about 8 years ago, really nice, but about 3 or 4 out of 7 nights we ended up in St Julian's so decided to just stay there this time. The Cavalieri and some of the other hotels near the water (Hilton, Radisson Blu, Corinthia San Gorg, Marina, etc) are not too near the lively area 'Paceville', so shouldn't be much noise heard from these hotels...I hope :0)

england
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Julian or Melleha

Golden Bay is perhaps a nicer beach than Mellieha if you have a car to get there. Malta is not a great island for a beach holiday.

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Julian or Melleha

Thanks all. I think I've narrowed it down to St. Julian, based on your comments. However, since we would like to go to the sandy beach one of the days, do you think it makes sense to rent a car just for the day?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's