We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish 2008

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
82 reviews
Jelly Fish 2008

Leaving Sept 4, will be in St Julians and Qawra. What is the jelly fish situation this year? I haven't found anything very conclusive.

Thanks everyone

Krakow
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Seems ok this year. Had a friend stung about 2 months ago but thats it. I'm swiming everyday and don't see any.

Kevin

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Great to hear that Kevin. We were there at the beginning of July and there were none in our first week but there were some in the second week.

Hopefully none now as Kevin says. Just take some antihistamine cream or spray with you and keep it on you just in case.

Enjoy your holiday

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Have been swimming most weeks since June and haven't seen any. My husband has seen one but was swimming quite far out. I always have wasp-eze spray in my bag to be on the safe side but all seems okay this year.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Luzzu - Waspeze is what I use too. Extremely effective. My husband got stung this year and with immediate application the wheals went down straight away. It also has a local anaesthetic in it so that helps with the pain

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

I've so far made over 40 dives since I've been here and all I've seen is a few small jellyfish. There have been a few of the non stinging variety too but this year has been the lowest count I've seen in many a year.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Have been swimming all summer, only got stung once , by a solitary jelly fish at Mellieha bay. Only a few jelly fish noted, and only in bays where the current is blowing in .

The best solution I have found is to spray with Vinegar , not wipe , and scrape off any tentacles with a visa card , like shaving you skin.

The vinegar neutralizes the chemicals , I am told .

It works for me .

Have a nice swimming holiday :-)

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
82 reviews
7. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Thanks for the info, and I'm very encouraged. It's a long trip, and with the US dollar being so weak against the Euro I wondered if we picked a bad time to go to Malta again. Then I read about jelly fish and thought oh no, holiday ruined if we can't go in the sea.

Now this thing called WASPEEZ - I will buy some when we arrive, but where do you buy it? Is it in the local pharmacy?

I do not see anything like that here in USA.

Thanks again.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Do not worry , you can buy WASPEZE from any pharmacy in malta without a prescription .

It is an Anti Insect Bite spray , which reacts with the venom and neutralizes it .

If stung by a jelly fish , never try to wipe off as the stings have got sachets attached which when pressed , inject more venom .

Spray and shave off as instructed earlier.

Hope you have a nice holiday and use sunblock lotion as too much sun damages your skin .

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
189 reviews
9. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Just so you're aware I'm currently in Malta and have dived on average 3 times a day. I've been quite surprised at just how few jellyfish I've seen ... in fact the ones I've seen most are the non stinging variety. I have seen a few but nothing like previous years.

Mellieha does seem to be the likeliest spot for them.

Don't let it spoil your holiday.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Jelly Fish 2008

Hi Barbara

Waspeze is a spray for all stings, jellyfish, wasps, mosquito bites, nettle stings etc. It contains benzocaine 1% which is an anaesthetic and also mepyramine maleate 0.5% which is an anti-histamine (reduces itching, redness and inflammation). It is easy to apply as it is in spray form and has a cooling effect on the skin too.

You might be able to find something similar in the USA if you tell your local pharmacist the active ingredients (as detailed above) but you can buy Waspeze in any pharmacy in Malta.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations